IDE DRIVES DETECTION FAILURE

Bonzy 08:01 03 Dec 04

Hello all, my AMD Duron pc with Award Modular BIOS has ran into a problem. I cold-booted it the other day but it didn't come on. Instead I smelt a burning stench from the power supply. I replaced the Power supply later and it came on; the single beep sounded alright. However, it failed to detect any IDE drive, not even the hard drive could be detected. I tried to enter safe mode, I failed. It was running on Win98SE before this problem. How do I get round this headache? Thanx in advance.

MichelleC 09:05 03 Dec 04

If you've checked all cabling go into bios and select (there should be an option somewhere) 'auto detect all drives'. BTW if the psu went up in smoke there may be other damage.

Rtus 09:40 03 Dec 04

attempt reaching bios (hit delete key at boot up)without any drives at all attached.Should give indication if mobo's faulty or not.or removing all except the floppies power & drive data cable & boot to that if ok ,shut down .then add one drive Ide & power cable at a time & reboot, It may very well be one of the drives has a power fault.Or

Rtus 09:40 03 Dec 04

attempt reaching bios (hit delete key at boot up)without any drives at all attached.Should give indication if mobo's faulty or not.or removing all except the floppies power & drive data cable & boot to that if ok ,shut down .then add one drive Ide & power cable at a time & reboot, It may very well be one of the drives has a power fault.

Rtus 09:41 03 Dec 04

sorry for stereo post!!

Bonzy 08:40 20 Dec 04

Thanx. Checked all cable connections checked-ok.I replaced PSU and turned on pc, started fine. Went into BIOS and found all IDE detection modes set to AUTO - fine. Went into PC Health and found that CPU Fan speed highly unstable: 4964-5416 rpm and discovered noise comes from CPU Fan. Replaced PSU and Fan. Restarted pc, had to SYS C: it using startup floppy; windows booted successfully from C: and desktop display ok. But, when I clicked on the start button, pc froze. When I cold-booted pc and right-clicked My Computer then clicked Properties, pc froze again. Attempts to start any icon on desktop freezes pc. It is impossible to get into Windows. Sometimes on starup, it goes into Safe Mode and freezes. After replacing CPU Fan, I went back into BIOS and found the fan speed more stable: 5957 - 6068. Also, CPU temp was stable; system temp was stable too. This is my story on the pc. Any more solutions? i'd appreciate it greatly. Thanx again in advance.

Diemmess 09:14 20 Dec 04

You must be nearly there! The hardware problem seems solved, it just looks like damaged software now.

I'm not quite sure just what you can and cannot do.

If, you seem to say, you can boot from the floppy and get into Windows that way, but no further than the desktop, try the Scanreg routine.

I case you haven't done this before, either boot normally except tap F8 as you do so, till you get to the DOS menu and choose "Command prompt only."

You can do the same thing with the floppy and stop at the C:> prompt.

Either way, type scanreg /restore and Enter.
You will have a choice of five dates when Windows booted satisfactorily. Select the last date before your disaster. ...... It may resolve the problem..... be lucky.

Bonzy 07:57 22 Dec 04

Thanxs so much. I restarted pc, it went to safe mode by itself. I chose "command prompt only" and at the C: prompt run the scanreg routine. Win98 seemed ok becos I was able to open programs and windows folders eg from Win Explorer. When I went into control panel and tried to scroll down to select an applet, the screen froze. I decided to reboot and run setup from the Win98SE cd. The first stage "Preparing to run Win98 Setup" went well. The 2nd stage "Collecting information about your computer" went well too. But when I clicked NEXT to start the "Copying Windows 98 files to your computer" stage, it froze! I retried 4 times and it froze everytime I did. I thought I'd fixed everything, but this freezing beats my thinking. What is the way out? Please help. Thanx in advance.

Diemmess 09:23 22 Dec 04

I hope someone comes forth with a definitive "Blessing."

I'm drawn into past unhappy experiences, and feel that when I had reached the limbo stage of trying to repair the system and got into the loop that seems to be scuppering your best efforts, I gave up, formatted and re-installed from scratch.

That was when I bought a copy of Ghost!

Like I said, you have my sympathy, but I know of no other way out. Just hope someone else does!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:46 22 Dec 04

"I decided to reboot and run setup from the Win98SE CD"

Were you trying to do this through windows or from the floppy boot disk?

Freezing PCs can often be attributed to corrupt drivers but if you cant get into device manager long enough to uninstall and reinstall /update them then the only recourse is a clean install of Win98SE. Clean install windows 98
click here

Bonzy 13:45 24 Dec 04

Hello Fruit Bat /\o/\,thanks so much, but what's the difference in effect between running setup thru windows and from the floppy boot disk? Do they achieve different or same results? In any case how do I setup from the floppy boot disk? What proceedure please. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…