IDE / Device Manager Query

JimButler 12:10 07 Dec 05

I have added an old CDRW device ( LiteOn ) to a 6 yr old Gateway PC ( Desktop 500M ).
There is a DVD ROM device on IDE Secondary Master.I have added the CDRW to Secondary Slave.
I have NOT as yet loaded any drivers for new device ( having trouble finding same.. model is LTR-24102M ).
Using Dev. Manager the added drive does not appear. Is this because no drivers AS YET installed ? I take it the BIOS for this 6 yr old system should recognise a CDRW device ????
Ta very much in advance for ANY guidance.

pj123 12:20 07 Dec 05

Doesn't need drivers. (But you will need Burning Software) Nero 6 can be bought from click here for £6.87 plus postage.

You need to go into the BIOS and detect it.

BTW, it is always best to have a CD Rewriter set up as Master. Just change the jumpers on the DVD rom to slave and the CDRW to master and then re-detect in the BIOS.

JimButler 14:59 07 Dec 05

Ta very much pj123. I took your advice re making CD Rewriter Master. Eventually got it to work. Worth noting that I could NOT do so when the jumpers on both devices were set to Cable Sel. rather than Master ( for device on IDE cable end ) and Slave for second device. Makes me wonder what Cable Select jumpering does ?
Ta very much again PJ.

DieSse 15:08 07 Dec 05

To use cable select you need an 80 wire cable - it will not work with 40 wire cables.

pj123 15:10 07 Dec 05

DieSse beat me to it.

woodchip 15:14 07 Dec 05

You do not need drivers as such, but you will need software that will make the drive work as a writer. the Drivers are contained in the Software as NERO. But first in a old computer like the one you installed to, you have to go into BIOS to detect the drive or set it as a CD drive etc for windows to see it. Windows will not see it until the BIOS sees it first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple