IDE Connector

Neo_0147 17:44 04 Jun 04

Ive just bought a DVD rewriter. After opening my pc and looking at my slots, there are no IDE slots available wither on the motherboard or on the IDE cables!?!?!?!?!

Is there a solution to this? Can you get some sort of connector which gives you two IDE slots in one or am I going to have to take my DVD-ROM drive out and use that slot?

johnsims 17:55 04 Jun 04

You should be able to connect a total of 4 IDE devices. 2 IDE slots on mobo, each running to devices from a single cable.
If you already have 4 IDE devices, you will either need to lose one or you can purchase a separate hard disk controller card. Promise make a good one. I have a TX2, but I suspect it is now supeerceded by a later model.

Cuddles 18:04 04 Jun 04

You can get ide cables with two connectors on so you can have four devices, remember your bootable hard drive goes on primary ide.

User-312386 18:16 04 Jun 04

I assume you have 1 to the hard drive and one to a cd-rom?

As Cuddles has said you need a dual IDE ribbon click here and then remember to set the CD-rom drive to slave and your dvd re-writer as master

Or Take the CD-ROM out and just have the DVD-Rewriter

Gongoozler 18:25 04 Jun 04

If all your IDE slots are fully loaded, you can get a PCI IDE card such as these from E Buyer click here and click here

Neo_0147 18:10 05 Jun 04

yeh, I have 2 hdd's and one cd-rw and a dvd-rom. Where can I get a seperate hard disk controller card? Like what johnsims said.

Mikè 19:31 05 Jun 04

This is a good card made by Promise click here I have two in use no problems.

Fruit Bat 19:53 05 Jun 04

Why do you need CD writer DVD rom And DVDwriter?

DVD writer will read and write both CDs and DVDs

The DVD rom will read CDs and DVDs if you want to copy CDs and DVDs, Then remove CD writer and fit DVD writer in its place.

Gongoozler 08:23 06 Jun 04

Neo_0147, see my link for pci ide cards.

Neo_0147 19:40 06 Jun 04

Fruit Bat, I know that a dvd writer reads and writes cd's aswell as dvd's but when i bought a cd writer, i didnt intend paying over 200 quid for a dvd writer. My cd rw is very good and i want to still get use out of it

Thankyou for replies guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…