IDE channels

Dicmay 00:30 03 Mar 03

Is it possible to have more than four IDE devices? By this I mean, is there a way to expand the number of ide channels by way of something like a PCI card?

If so, what is the performance like? Is it as good as using the onboard channels?

I ask this because I would like to have two HD's as well as a DVD drive and CD-RW drive. I would also, in the future like to get a DVD rewriter drive. Should I go for a DWD/CD-RW combo drive to save that ide space or can i rely on a pci card?

Many thanks

DieSse 00:36 03 Mar 03

Yes you can get PCI cards with extra IDE ports. Promise are probably the best known make

Yes the performance is as good as, and may in some cases be better than on-board.

Bear in mind you can now get serial ATA devices, and serial ATA port cards too.

I personally would not get a combo drive. "Too many eggs in one basket" - and they often have poorer performance than seperates.

DieSse 00:37 03 Mar 03

My understanding, BTW, is that most, if not all, DVD writers, also write CDs.

Dicmay 00:38 03 Mar 03

the mobo i've bought is an Abit NF7-S with SATA support. Forgot all about that. Doh!

Thanks DieSse :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…