IDE Channel configuration

soy 11:48 13 Jan 04

Hi,

I have 2 IDE Channels and 4 devices. 2 hard drives (120G and 40G) and 2 CD-ROM devices (DVD and CD-RW).

What would be the best setup? hard drives on one IDE channel and CD drives in the other, or should I put a hard drive and CD drive together on each channel?

I think I heard before that 2 hard drives shouldn't go together on 1 IDE channel as they will bottleneck each other, but i'm not sure about this.

Thanks

John

Diemmess 12:10 13 Jan 04

I would use one HD master and one CDxxx (as the slave) on each channel........
The HDs will be able to read/write data so much faster than any CD, they should be separated

TBH1 12:23 13 Jan 04

for what its worth, I have 2 hard drives on master ide and DVD Rom and cdrw on slave - - - and most people I know who have 2 hard discs have that set-up.

Jester2K 12:24 13 Jan 04

Snap

soy 12:31 13 Jan 04

TBH1,

Do you mean you have hard drives on the master connections on each IDE and CD drives on slave. i.e. one hard drive and cd drive per IDE channel?

DieSse 13:29 13 Jan 04

No, they mean you put the two hard drves on the one IDE cable, and the two optical drives on the secondary. This is the conventional way to attach drives.

Each drive will perform to it's capability - one does not slow down the other one.

soy 15:19 13 Jan 04

Thanks DieSse!

And to Everyone else, I think I will go with the conventional way then. It will save me having to buy longer IDE cables then.

TBH1 17:11 13 Jan 04

yep, I knew DieSse would know what I mean - -re reading that now I understand your confusion. " discs on primary ide and 2 optics on secondary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…