IDE CARDS - Help & Advice Required

tbh72 02:56 31 Mar 03

My modo has two ide channels, each one supporting two devices. If I decided to get more IDE devices could I simple buy one of those ide card thingies pop it in and hey presto be furnished with 1, 2 or even 4 more channels (Ummm and if I choose say a two channel, do the still accept two devices per channel, just like on the mobo / bios). I take it they would be software controlled as there wouldn't be reference to them in the bios?

wawadave 08:11 31 Mar 03

yes you can get pci cards with 2 or more ide expantion slots. but you canot put your o/s on a hard drive running off a ide chanel on a pci card.any thing else goes.

rct 08:14 31 Mar 03

Yes and Yes. One thing to note is that most of these cards are happiest controlling HDDs only even though they specify any IDE device is compatible. Look out for Promise or Highpoint cards e.g. click here

€dstow 08:32 31 Mar 03

I use Maxtor IDE cards (Promise ones rebadged) in my machines. They do as they claim to do so that's it as far as I'm concerned. I've got hard drives attached mostly but there are a couple of machines that have CD drives on them as well.

The cards are not dependent on an operating system. They are detected by the motherboard BIOS at startup and have their own BIOS which is installed or not depending on whether any drives are attached.

I find them very useful indeed. They work as they claim and as I want them to, so that's it - perfect!

tbh72 11:07 31 Mar 03

Thanks for your speedy replies, you have demystified IDE cards for me. Why don't people opt for IDE Cards as apposed to flashing the bios to support large disk drive, The link above support hard drives over 137Gb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…