IDE cables the new ones have a hole blocked!!! why

cyberpharmacist 12:58 08 May 03

Hi All,

I have just dug out an old ide device (a notebook harddrive to desktop harddrive converter) that have the same interface as a normal harddrive, but there is one extra pin in the female end, and i have noticed that the male end of the ide cable has a block on that corresponding pin. why is this? and if i break that pin, would this work?

many thanks.

its to stop the cable being put in the wrong way round, unfortunately is not a universal thing. you will have to search for a cable without the hol blocked. ive got one of each lying on my desk right now so they are not that rare either way.

yes you can break that pin off,

Tog 13:13 08 May 03

The blocked hole is for connector keying (orientation). It prevents the connector being fitted upside-down. I don't know enough about notebook HDDs to offer any advice on snapping off pins.

cyberpharmacist 13:14 08 May 03

I am aware that there is a grove on the plastic case of the female end, that helps to prevent the cable being connected the wrong way round, but I am talking about the actual pins itself, and I think it's pin 20 that's blocked.

if the pin block also does the same thing for cables without the grove, would it be safe to have the pin removed so that i can use that with the newer cables?

yes pin20 is just ground it can come off but be very careful not to damage any others,

DieSse 13:50 08 May 03

You can also make a hole where the connector is blocked - it's only a relatively thin blockage. Be careful tho' - but i've done it a number of times - on the thoery it's cheaper to ruin a cbale then to ruin a hard drive!!

COUCHER 14:20 08 May 03

Be safe rather than sorry. You can get a cable from a computer fair for £3 or £4 so I'd do the same as DieSse. It's also easier to drill a little hole than to break/pull a pin off without doing further damage.

COUCHER 14:20 08 May 03

Be safe rather than sorry. You can get a cable from a computer fair for £3 or £4 so I'd do the same as DieSse. It's also easier to drill a little hole than to break/pull a pin off without doing further damage.

cyberpharmacist 15:49 08 May 03

thanks guys, i managed to push that pin into the case as far as it can get, then bent it by crushing the male end onto it.

it works.

the bad news is the drive is faulty, there are noises (sounds like loose screws pinballing around the case)from that drive.

thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…