IDE cable, 1 connector left off?

graham√ 13:09 26 Oct 03

Tinkering with my trusty '95, trying to instal a different hard drive. I was getting 'A device attached to the system is not functioning' message. Eventually I took out the IDE cable for close inspection, thinking perhaps it had been handled once too often.

The end connector had a wire 'broken'. Is this by design, perhaps to enable 'cable select' to function?

This was not the cause of the trouble, it turned out.

DieSse 13:37 26 Oct 03

If it's an 80-wire cable, the cut wire is to allow it to be detected as 80-wire rather then 40-wire.

graham√ 13:40 26 Oct 03

Thanks, it's 40 wire.

DieSse 14:13 26 Oct 03

Then it's a broken wire - but it may be unused, or just one of several earth wires.

graham√ 14:25 26 Oct 03

Thanks, everything seems to be working OK now, MaxBlast Plus came to the rescue.

graham√ 19:50 27 Oct 03

It is cable select click here

DieSse 20:28 27 Oct 03

I know it's possible to have a 40-wire cable select cable - but they're as rare as hen's teeth - so the usual assumption is that it won't be if it's a 40-wire cable (whereas ALL 80-wire cables have cable select)

So just goes to prove I can't be right every time ;-))

Djohn 20:46 27 Oct 03

As a little side note to this thread. When I installed two new hard drives I swapped all my drives to C S. function and they work just fine. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…