IDE 1 + 2 but can only get THREE devices to work

Wulfrune 21:17 08 Apr 04

I have 2 80 gig HD's and a dvd/rw and a cd/rw. No matter what I do I cannot get all 4 working at the same time ! I've tried all kinds of permutations e.g. the 2 HD's and 1 dvd or cd / rw or both dvd and cd and 1 HD, but can I get the lot ot work together? not on your life. I have very little hair now and can ill afford to go on pulling out what little remains, please help.

Oh by the way... I do have on the motherboard ide's 3 and 4 although I've never tried them.

I've even swopped around the ide cables too... no avail.

cycoze 21:29 08 Apr 04

You have checked the master/slave jumpers are set on each drive correctly?

arricarry 21:55 08 Apr 04

Is the BIOS set to autodetect?

GaT7 22:24 08 Apr 04

When I had a similar problem found that one of the IDE cables I was using was faulty.

Wulfrune 22:51 08 Apr 04

cycoze thanks but yes ... checked it

arricarry Same as above

Crossbow7, aye mate swopped em around ... they're working fine

OMG what a nightmare

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 23:25 08 Apr 04

What can you get working togehter? and in what order is it a cd/dvd drive that dont work or a hard drive?You may have one of the dvd's that dont like bieng on the same cable as another optical drive try it on its own if it works then most like its one of the drives.

Regards.

dazzling (work) 23:25 08 Apr 04

put your hard drives on 3 & 4 then you wont have a problem somtimes cd and dvd dont like to be together or it could be a fault on the ide channel.youll probably have to install the raid drivers before you can put use ide 3&4.ihave 4 hard drives dvd rom cdrw and dvdrw all living happily together touchwood.darren

Wulfrune 08:13 10 Apr 04

Thanks, it appears that you were right it WAS the IDE cables that were at fault, I purchased 2 new ones and it was a case of problems solved.

Big lesson for me there I think:

ALWAYS CHECK THE OBVIOUS FIRST

I thought I DID check it, but it seems a)I didn't check enough or b)My conclusions were wrong.

Anyway, thanks to all for posting replies.

And seeing as you guys always seems to come up with the right answers I have another question...

Does anyone know of a fool proof way I can make myself filthy rich without doing anything and a way I can make Nora Jones me bird?

Cheers

Wulfrune

GaT7 22:23 10 Apr 04

Wulfrune, glad you're sorted : ) I often make the same mistake too & put the obvious last - basic human frailty.

I'm afraid you'll have to start another thread about your latest 'bird & fortune' query ; ))) - of course, that's if the FE allows it!

Please put a tick in the resolved box when you get the chance. Ta, G(click here for more info)

arricarry 22:53 10 Apr 04

Become an MP

arricarry 22:54 10 Apr 04

Or better still an MEP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…