I'd be grateful...

Stuartli 18:01 10 Dec 04

...if someone would check in Device Manager if they can Enable/Disable their keyboard.

Mine's greyed out but a corded keyboard works fine - the wireless version has gone AWOL...:-)

In theory you shouldn't be able to disable a keyboard otherwise you couldn't use the system.

Sapins 18:04 10 Dec 04

Can't disable mine.

mattyc_92 18:05 10 Dec 04

Yes I agree, if your Keyboard is disabled then you can't interact with the system... However you are still able to disable it and even boot windows up without a keyboard present. You just can't type anything, you will have to use the mouse all the time instead

Noelg23 18:05 10 Dec 04

you didnt do anything to remove it yourself? like uninstall it by accident?

Djohn 18:05 10 Dec 04

If you right click on the keyboard from device manager then properties, there is a tab for power management where you can place a tick to "Turn of this device when not needed"

This may be what your looking for.

ACOLYTE 18:08 10 Dec 04

If i dissable my key board the pc wont boot,i think it set that way in bois.

Djohn 18:47 10 Dec 04

It will be from Device manager/properties of keyboard or from the Universal bus controllers at the bottom of device manager.

Open with a left click and scroll down to check the properties of each USB device and look for the power managment tab. Remove the tick from "Allow this device to turn off to save power"

mattyc_92 18:57 10 Dec 04

Yes you are correct.... The BOIS is set, by default, not to boot up the system if a mouse or keyboard or Floppy Disk drive doesn't work or missing.... But you CAN change this, I don't know why you want to boot the system up without a keyboard, but there you go lol

Stuartli 19:10 10 Dec 04

Many thanks for all the responses..:-)

I haven't disabled it in error or anything else - the wireless keyboard just stopped working (yes, I did replace the batteries!) and hasn't since.

Thankfully I still had a corded keyboard in a dusty cupboard...:-)

Stuartli 19:20 10 Dec 04

Unfortunately I don't have a Power Management tab in the keyboard's Properties.

Secondly, it's not a USB keyboard/mouse package; it uses the standard ports via two fly leads from the small transmitter unit.

All the usual variations have been tried - even more recent drivers, uninstall/reinstall etc without any success....:-(

keith-236785 20:13 10 Dec 04

Stuartli

slap me for stating the obvious but have you tried changing the batteries in your keyboard, dont know if it makes the pc drop the keyboard if there is no signal from the keyboard due to no power.

also, check if ALL the lights are on (num lock / cap lock / scroll lock ) on the reciever.

i have had this a few times where everything has frozen and mouse/ keyboard have not worked (tell tale sign was all three lights lit even though scroll lock was off). way around this is to power down the pc, unplug the keyboard and mouse PS2 connectors and then plugging back in. power up and all was well. dont know what caused it but after a re-install it seems to have stopped happening.

good luck anyway (my keyboard/mouse is a Genius model KB-16M wireless set)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…