ics xbox360???

thetrickster 18:24 18 Apr 06

please tell me if im in the wrong forum. i have tried other xbox sites, but with no joy.

anyways i am trying to share my internet connection with my xbox360 (via ethernet cable and network card)but cant seem to do it. i have got as far as getting my xbox360 to assign its own ip adress but for some reason my xbox360 always fails test on the DNS. i have found my dns through ipconfig but after having entered that information i can still not connect online. i have a BT broadband and an adsl modem.

p.s i have been on the xbox360 before but had to reinstall windows and since then cant get back online, so i know i can get it to work just need help.

thx, rich

mgmcc 19:50 18 Apr 06

Having reinstalled Windows, did you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" again on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in the PC?

thetrickster 19:53 18 Apr 06

yes i have allowed ics on windows mgmcc

mgmcc 20:10 18 Apr 06

Is the "host" PC running Zone Alarm and, if so, have you reduced the Internet Zone Security level from High to medium, otherwise ICS traffic will be blocked.

The Xbox *should* get all of its addresses - IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS Server - by DHCP from the "host" PC.

thetrickster 20:40 18 Apr 06

not done anything with zone alarm i will give that a go and let you know.

thetrickster 20:56 18 Apr 06

well you have been a great help, but the only thing is i have to have zone alarm completly off!!! to access xbox live. have i got to put in the ip etc manually as a trusted zone before zone alarm will allow the xbox to connect??

mgmcc 21:28 18 Apr 06

Open Zone Alarm and in its Zones section (Firewall tab on the left and then Zones tab at the top), click the "Add" button and select "Subnet". Enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.0

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Click OK and, back in the main window, click Apply. Using a Subnet entry in conjunction with the address 192.168.0.0 will allow access to all addresses between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.254 thus preventing problems if the "client" device's IP address changes.

thetrickster 19:30 19 Apr 06

tried what you advised mgmcc, but for some reason still having no joy connecting to xboxlive whilst having zone alarm running. any other suggestions???

thx

mgmcc 20:21 19 Apr 06

Normally, the only Zone alarm requirements are (a) that the Internet Zone Security level in the ICS "host" PC is reduced from High to Medium and (b) that the networked devices are allowed for in the "Trusted Zone".

I assume that, when entering the details in the Trusted Zone, you did add a *SUBNET* and not an IP ADDRESS?

thetrickster 18:16 25 Apr 06

yes i added a subnet address mgmcc. i currnetly have all selected in the trusted zone. could this make any difference, as i dont want zone alarm shut down when on xbox live.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5