ICS on Windows Vista Help!!

pelloplasma 08:49 11 Oct 07

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 5100 running on Windows Vista Home Premium edition.
My only option for internet wired ethernet but i have some other gadgets that i would like to connect to the internet wirelessly.
I tried to share my connection but with no success.
Can anybody give a sort of a tutorial on how to set up a shared internet network?

Before anybody says it i can't use router. It's not an option I have.

thanks

pelloplasma 09:21 11 Oct 07

probably should mention that when i tried to share my LAN (right-click properties, shared tab) I get the error message
an error occurred while internet connection sharing was being enabled

T0SH 13:33 11 Oct 07

site with vista ICS help here

click here

Cheers HC

mgmcc 21:00 11 Oct 07

Setting up ICS in Vista isn't really very different from XP. However, if your Router has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 you will have to change it to a different Subnet so that it doesn't conflict with ICS which *MUST* allocate 192.168.0.1 to the "host" PC's network adapter that connects with the "client".

If you have this conflict, which might be the cause of the error, change the router's IP address to, for example, 192.168.1.1

pelloplasma 21:10 11 Oct 07

Thanks for the advice.
But I don't have access to the router.
How to i change the Subnet?

mgmcc 07:33 12 Oct 07

How are you connecting to the internet and what is the IP address of whichever "network adapter" you are connected to the internet with?

For example, if you are using a USB Modem, you will have the IP address allocated by the ISP. If you are connected via a Local Area Network of some form, you will have a LAN IP address using one of the address ranges reserved for local networks, most commonly a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address.

pelloplasma 08:51 12 Oct 07

My ip address is 192.168.0.144 and the default gateway is 192.168.0.1
I'm connected via LAN.

mgmcc 12:10 12 Oct 07

You are connecting via a LAN which uses the 192.168.0.0 Subnet and the Router's IP address is 192.168.0.1

This means you will be unable to set up "Internet Connection Sharing", because the adapter that connects to the ICS "client" must have the address 192.168.0.1 which will conflict with the router which already has this address.

Having said that, why are you not connecting all of your "computers" to that same LAN?

pelloplasma 12:14 12 Oct 07

Because my other gadgets don't have ethernet cable and because it's a network in a building the landlord requests the MAC address of each item that connects to the internet.

Thanks 4 all your help though :)

mgmcc 19:06 12 Oct 07

You can get round that ;)

Connect a Wireless "Cable/DSL" router to the existing LAN connection and use the router's facility to *clone* the MAC address that's already registered with the landlord. You can then run your own Local Area Network and connect whatever you want to it.

As far as the landlord is concerned, there is a single device (whose MAC address he has) connected to his router. There isn't a problem running a "sub-router" connected to a main router. I actually have Cable broadband, but I regularly run a second Cable/DSL router connected to the first one.

pelloplasma 19:11 12 Oct 07

I already tried that. But I can't internet through the router.
I'm not sure how the landlord has the network set.
I also tried a router with bridge mode but that doesn't work either.

Thanks anw.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…