ICS will not work tho file and print sharing does

BigSix 22:07 13 Jan 06

I have set up a peer to peer network with ethernet and a cross-over cable, between a win 2000 machine and a winXP one. I have the printer and the dialup internet modem on the 2000 machine (I want it that way because there is not much on that machine) which connects to my ips and browses with no trouble, but when I try to access the internet fron the XP machine I have been having all sorts of problems. When I try for example to update something on the XP machine the 2000 machine dials but before it completes the XP machine says "The proxy server connection failed". I have used ipconfig, ping etc and it all seems Ok. Can anyone help, please?

mgmcc 08:35 14 Jan 06

If you are using a "dialup" connection with a 56k modem, is there any particular reason you need to use ICS, as opposed to connecting both PCs' modems to the phone line and dialling up with whichever PC you want to have internet access from?

If you do need to use ICS, can you establish the internet connection with the Windows 2000 PC and set the XP PC to "Never dial a connection", so that it gets its internet access over the LAN from the already existing connection?

BigSix 20:16 16 Jan 06

Thanks to mgmcc for your suggestions. I wanted to ose the network rather than two modems just to work out how to do it, and the modem on the XP machine was playing up. I finally got the whole lot working by going to click here and downloading a proxy facility. This works well and was fairly easy to set up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…