ICS stopped working

Ray5776 18:58 03 Apr 06

I have 2 pc`s networked by cable both XP, one is Home the other Pro.
Lan connection appears to be working ok but no internet on the client any more, was fine 2 days ago.
I have tried the usual things and had a good look through this forum for ideas.
When I try to look on host to see if ICS is enabled I get this message "Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Management Information (WMI) might be corrupted"
Tried restore but no joy.
ipconfig/all shows DHCP as not enabled if that is rellevant.

Any suggestions please.

Ray

mgmcc 20:00 03 Apr 06

<<< Lan connection appears to be working ok but no internet on the client any more >>>

Does that mean that the two PCs are communicating and that File/Printer sharing is still working?

<<< When I try to look on host to see if ICS is enabled >>>

The Local Area Connection's icon should indicate whether or not it is shared - as with "shared" folders and printers, there will be a hand underneath it.

<<< ipconfig/all shows DHCP as not enabled if that is rellevant. >>>

The 'host' PC is given the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 when ICS is enabled, so the details won't show DHCP enabled. However, at the top of the display, the 'host' should show "IP Routing enabled - Yes".

<<< The Windows Management Information (WMI) might be corrupted >>>

Check that the WMI service is running. Right click "My Computer" and select Manage. In the window that opens, click the [+] beside Services and Applications to expand it and then click on Services. In the right pane, scroll down to Windows Management Instrumentation, double click it and, in the box that opens, ensure that the service is running (Click "Start" if necessary) and that its Startup Type is set to Automatic.

Ray5776 21:18 03 Apr 06

Thanks mgmcc,
File & printer sharing OK.
local area icon in Network connections says connected but no hand under it, Status says connected also.
IP is 192.168.0.1.
ipconfig/all says "IP routing enabled...No"
2 WMI entries found one set to auto and running, the other (driver) set to manual and stop, both now set to auto and running.

Ray

Ray5776 22:08 03 Apr 06

Last posting could be missunderstood now I have read through it again. It lists the settings that I checked on mgmcc`s advice. I can see that it may read as now working OK, unfortunately not so still no internet on client.
Ray

mgmcc 22:47 03 Apr 06

Sorry, I've been getting myself tied in knots! It is the actual *INTERNET* connection (Modem connection) which is shared, not the Local Area Connection. It should therefore be the Host PC's connection to the modem which has the hand under its icon. The fact that you have "IP routing enabled - No" suggests though that ICS isn't actually enabled.

Can you right click the "Modem" connection, select Properties, then the Advanced tab and tick the box for "Allow other network users...etc"?

Ray5776 10:24 04 Apr 06

Hi again,
The Hosts connection to the internet modem called "Speed Touch USB ADSL PPP" says connected and has a tick on it but no hand underneath.

When I go to properties/advanced tab to check if ICS is enabled I get the message as in my first posting "Windows cannot display etc etc..." there is nothing else in the advanced tab.

It seems to me that ICS in not enabled but as I can`t
enter the advanced tab I`m stuck.

Client is getting auto IP address in 169xxx range and displays "limited or no connection" message.
I can set it manually to 192.168.x.x and the message will not appear but still can`t access net from client.

ray

mgmcc 15:58 04 Apr 06

Error Message: The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Information Might Be Corrupted

h t t p : / /
support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823775

Unfortunately, their only solutions are a System Restore and, if that doesn't fix it, a repair installation of Windows XP.

Ray5776 18:11 04 Apr 06

Thanks mgmcc,
I had a nasty feeling it was heading in that direction.
I tried to do a repair of XP earlier but can`t seem to get to the repair option if I put the CD in and go to install it says that the version on the PC is newer than the version on the CD (probably because I have downloaded the upgrades and SP2 since installing it)
I am sure I have done repair before on another PC and
got to it via a floppy disk but can`t remember exactly how.
If I can`t somehow repair it my option seems to be a clean install of an older version and loose all my stuff (a nightmare just to fix ICS).
Will try full system restore from a backup on another drive overnight as a last desperate attempt unless anyone has any other suggestions, I`ve run out of ideas, can`t beleive this can be so difficult.

ray

mgmcc 20:43 04 Apr 06

<<< if I put the CD in and go to install it says that the version on the PC is newer than the version on the CD (probably because I have downloaded the upgrades and SP2 since installing it) >>>

You probably need to create an "XP SP2" installation CD by slipstreaming the SP2 file into the original XP CD.

The easiest way to do this, provided you either have one of the free SP2 CDs that Microsoft gave out or are able to download the SP2 file (266 Megabytes) from their website, is to use "AutoStreamer".

AutoStreamer (844kB) from - click here

SP2 file from Microsoft - click here

Ray5776 21:06 04 Apr 06

Thanks again mgmcc, that Autostreamer looks like a useful bit of kit. I will make an XP SP2 disk anyway for future use.
First I will try restoring the back up before I bugger anything else up:-)

Ray5776 10:45 05 Apr 06

Resolved,

Full system restore from back up (not restore point)
overwriting all files.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…