ICS set up problems

FCD 10:10 14 Jun 07

I have a home network set up on two XP Home SP2 computers with a direct ethernet connection. This was set up without an internet connection and has been running for several months for file sharing etc.

I have now installed an internet connection on one computer via a wireless link to an ADSL router in another room. This connects ok but I cannot set up internet connection sharing between the two.

When I try to set it up directly, I get the following error message:

"ICS cannot be enabled. A LAN Connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing"

When I try using the Network wizard - I receive an error message asking me to contact my network administrator.

I looked at deleting the original LAN and starting again but could find no way of doing that.

Very grateful for any help.

recap 18:59 16 Jun 07

You should be able to delete the original by right clicking on the icon for the network you created and selecting Delete.

mgmcc 08:54 17 Jun 07

If you are using a router, all computers connect directly to the router, either wirelessly or by ethernet cable. You *MUST NOT* enable ICS on any network connection in any of the networked computers.

At the moment, it sounds as though you have a router whose default IP address is 192.168.0.1 which will cause a conflict with an ICS "host" PC whose network adapter that connects to a "client" PC must use the address 192.168.0.1

FCD 16:32 18 Jun 07

I have done lots of research over the last few days which suggested that the router IP address was the cause of the problem. Also, if I tried to change the router address, I had network problems. So I went to adding a separate wireless card on the second computer to give it its own connection to the router.

Many thanks for the expert advice and the *MUST NOT* - confirms what I thought and saves me looking further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant