//some 3rd party need geo

ICS with DSL - extra card needed?

Shas 13:17 29 Sep 04

I have two computers networked for file & printer sharing at the moment, connected by a crossover cable, (working fine) and I now need to set them up for ICS. Host computer runs Win 98SE (upgraded from 98) with AOL broadband. Client machine runs Win 98. I’ve read that as we would be sharing a DSL connection the host computer needs two network cards for ICS to work (? – I haven’t seen this particular ‘must have’ mentioned before in any of the PCA advice threads on ICS.)

If it’s so, does it matter what additional card I get - the original (3Com Etherlink XL Combo 10Mb Ethernet NIC [3C900-Combo] ), is 5 years old so I doubt that’s still available. Would I need to get all new cards or would a current one be compatible with my existing.

Any advice very much appreciated.

JonnyTub 13:29 29 Sep 04

as far as i'm aware you just need to enable ics on the machines - no extra card needed, the one you have should be fine for file, folder, printer AND internet connection sharing.

Noelg23 13:39 29 Sep 04

you can just do a simple peer-2-peer network and that should sort it...but there are some cases where you need a second NIC in the host PC...and since you have file and printer sharing then I think a second NIC will be needed for ICS...but im sure someone who has done this will tell you more soon..

Shas 13:54 29 Sep 04

Thanks JonnyTub and Noelg23. I guess what I'll have to do is just try it and see, but if I do have to get another card, can either of you tell me whether all NICs are compatible? Thanks :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…