Icons/links won't work

Mooma 16:42 27 Nov 05

Help!!One morning NIS said that there was an attempt to alter the registry values, so I clicked the 'block' option. Ever since, none of my icons will work and I am unable to access anything apart from one or two programs from within windows, although they are all still there. I have tried 'restore' and also a registry repair program but nothing has worked (both run from DOS). I've also checked for virus/spyware infection but it said it was clean. I don't know that much about this, but am now wondering if maybe NIS is blocking all my links?? Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to open the settings form windows or DOS so have run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest what else I could try or do I have to reinstall Windows again?

VoG II 16:48 27 Nov 05

Try this fix for icons (.lnk files) click here

Mooma 16:52 27 Nov 05

Thanks for response - sorry don't know much about registry, do I have to paste somewhere?

VoG II 16:53 27 Nov 05

Download the file to your PC. It is a compressed file - double-click it to open it then double click the file inside it.

Mooma 16:55 27 Nov 05

Ok, I did that and it opens the file in wordpad

VoG II 17:01 27 Nov 05

Oh dear. Try a System Restore. If that doesn't work a Repair click here

Mooma 17:34 27 Nov 05

Thanks for your help. Tried restore already, so will try the xp repair next.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced