Icons/links won't work

Mooma 16:42 27 Nov 05

Help!!One morning NIS said that there was an attempt to alter the registry values, so I clicked the 'block' option. Ever since, none of my icons will work and I am unable to access anything apart from one or two programs from within windows, although they are all still there. I have tried 'restore' and also a registry repair program but nothing has worked (both run from DOS). I've also checked for virus/spyware infection but it said it was clean. I don't know that much about this, but am now wondering if maybe NIS is blocking all my links?? Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to open the settings form windows or DOS so have run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest what else I could try or do I have to reinstall Windows again?

VoG II 16:48 27 Nov 05

Try this fix for icons (.lnk files) click here

Mooma 16:52 27 Nov 05

Thanks for response - sorry don't know much about registry, do I have to paste somewhere?

VoG II 16:53 27 Nov 05

Download the file to your PC. It is a compressed file - double-click it to open it then double click the file inside it.

Mooma 16:55 27 Nov 05

Ok, I did that and it opens the file in wordpad

VoG II 17:01 27 Nov 05

Oh dear. Try a System Restore. If that doesn't work a Repair click here

Mooma 17:34 27 Nov 05

Thanks for your help. Tried restore already, so will try the xp repair next.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…