icons in task bar

plumbism 11:07 08 May 04

how can i stop icons i don't want from appearing.
when i click on always hide its ok till i start comp again and they come back as hide when inactive.

SANTOS7 11:18 08 May 04

start/run/type in msconfig startup tab and deselect what you don't want to appear

plumbism 11:26 08 May 04

i meant the icons in the system tray. i want the progs running but i don't want the icons cluttering up the tray.

hector 911 11:33 08 May 04

if you have XP right click on task bar select properties, then customise, you can then choose what icons you want hide or show, remember to tick hide inactive icons.

plus on some software programs you have options whether or not to display icon on taskbar.

Chris the Ancient 11:33 08 May 04

Right click Start button.

Properties

Taskbar

Notification area

Customize.

And set up as required

Chris the Ancient 11:34 08 May 04

Simultaneous replies!

SANTOS7 11:35 08 May 04

same thing plumbism under startup tab you will see list of progs just untick the ones you don't want to appear

hector 911 11:37 08 May 04

I should have added that in customise if you click the option to the right of the icon you have a choice 3 options you want. "show icon" - "always hide icon" or "hide when inactive"

hope this helps..................

bertiecharlie 11:49 08 May 04

I think plumbism knows what to do. He is saying that, after altering the settings, XP reverts them to "hide when inactive" the next time he starts up his computer.

plumbism 12:26 08 May 04

yes bertiecharlie but how do i stop them from reappearing.

SANTOS7 12:32 08 May 04

if you go to start/run/type in msconfig under the startup tab deselect the items you don't want to appear in you systray, reboot, and they do not load on startup so they do not appear if after this they keep reappearing you have a more deep rooted problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…