Icons in Notification Area ...

Stonechatz 17:53 04 Dec 05

... do not always appear at startup. Usually there would be 8 icons to appear here - but randomly they reduce down to 2. It actually does not seem to have any effect on the machine (XP, 2.8GHz P4, 512Mb mem, DELL) - but why the capriciousness?

Klof Ron 18:07 04 Dec 05

Right click on taskbar select properties, uncheck "Hide Inactive Icons" or if you prefer click customize and select which icons you always want to show, and let other auto hide.

ade.h 18:19 04 Dec 05

You'll know if you have that feature enabled because there will be a button with a chevron on it next to the icons. If that feature is not enabled then the programs in question are either not loading or are not placing their icons in the tray. I find that if an icon has not loaded, it does not necessarily mean that the program itself has failed to load. Check in Task Manager to be sure.

Stuartli 18:19 04 Dec 05

It's a Windows feature of hiding icons for programs, utilities etc which are not often used.

Klof Ron offers the solution.

Minkey1 19:10 04 Dec 05

ade.h is right - I deliberately don't use "hide inactive icons" as some of my apps are only accessible via their icon in the Notification Area, so I want them to appear. Despite this, occasionally they don't, due to load up order and time allocated by Windows/XP to display them. It's an issue with Windows raised previously in PCA. The programmes themselves usually are running, and as ade says, they'll be listed in Processes in Task Mgr. It's a problem which comes and goes and of our 3 machines, some are more susceptible than others. The only solution I've found is to shutdown explorer.exe from TM, then restart it again from TM. This seems to reload icons but as to the advisability of this procedure, I'm not sure.

Mike

Stonechatz 11:10 05 Dec 05

Its certainly not Hide Inactive Icons - the ones that shd appear include MS Giant AntiSpyware, AOL BB Checkup, Creative Audigy Mixer, FreeRamXP Pro, Remove External USB Device, AOL Dialup, and McAfee Security Center. Only these last 2 always appear - as I say, the others in some random pattern of chance ... I will try the Always Want To Show option - many thanks!

The Spires 11:36 05 Dec 05

Disable the SSDP Discovery Service and the Universal Plug and Play Device Host.

To do this, open Administrative Tools in Control Panel, and then open Services. Select "SSDP Discovery Service", right-click it and select Properties. Change the startup type to "Disabled" and then click OK. Repeat this for the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host."

The Spires 11:36 05 Dec 05

Disable the SSDP Discovery Service and the Universal Plug and Play Device Host.

To do this, open Administrative Tools in Control Panel, and then open Services. Select "SSDP Discovery Service", right-click it and select Properties. Change the startup type to "Disabled" and then click OK. Repeat this for the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host."

ventanas 12:20 05 Dec 05

I have this issue as well, Its usually A2 that fails to appear, but others can be affected.

The Spires, thanks I will give that a go.

Stonechatz 12:21 06 Dec 05

Great idea Spires - any insight into how this works - what exactly is going on re the disappearance of the icons?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…