ICONS NOT RESPONDING

PERN 11:13 26 Feb 11

Suddenly after years of working the icons on desktop do not respond from the mouse or the keyboard.When clicking for Hotmail, Ebay ,Google etc the heading appears in task bar at bottom of page together with an X to delete.(left hand corner) The only icon that does respond is INTERNET EXPLORER so I can still get on the web but its a long way round with icons not working. Can anybody help?????????????/

howard64 11:30 26 Feb 11

try deleting an icon then going to start - progs and right click on the one you just deleted the icon for then right click and send to desktop create shortcut. If the new one works ok then do the others.

PERN 12:21 26 Feb 11

Great response Howard 64 thanks.In going into programmes, Hotmail, Ebay ,etc are not there only programmes that I have downloaded.

howard64 12:45 26 Feb 11

you can use google to get to hotmail and install again then you use the mouse to drag the hotmail icon from the desktop to the quick launch bar at the bottom of the screen.

rdave13 12:49 26 Feb 11

These icons are urls. I'm on windows 7 but should be similar on other OSs. Start, default programs, associate a file type or protocol with a program, scroll down to url and check if associated with Internet Browser.
Sometimes a reboot will cure this.

PERN 18:00 26 Feb 11

howard 64 and r dave 13 thankyou both. Tried to drag to the bottom to open but no good. Going a bit deep with me talking default programmes and protocol but I have now deleted google chrome as it keeps crashing and have found I can now use icons and launch through internet explorer.Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…