Icons and Menus Disappear

jf 20:28 24 Mar 03

When my computer has been on for an extended period of time (about four hours plus) my computer sort of crashes. I say sort of because it doesn't freeze up and when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete nothing is reported as 'not responding'. Nor do I get any error messages.

What does happen is that most icons disappear along with the desktop wallpaper. Also the menus don't open properly and everything generally slows down. After a while I can't make sense of anything and have to perform a restart. I thought it was a virus but I've run three scans and nothing. Same with error checks. Anyone had similar problems??? BTW I'm running Windows Me and the only thing I've added recently is the newest version of MSN Messenger.

Please help!

Gerrycan 21:42 24 Mar 03

Have you tried running scandisc to check your hard drive.

cdb 22:27 24 Mar 03

when you close a window does it appear to stay on screen? and only the active window responds? and if you drag the active window around, it erases everything on screen that passes under it? If this is what's happening to you, then sorry I haven't a clue what it is. It's just happened to me a couple of times before. :S

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:42 25 Mar 03

a software conflict. I use Xara 1.2 quite a lot, every time I close it after use icons get wiped out as the cursor passes over them. There are several other progs that have caused me symptoms like yours. When uninstalled the problems stopped. Check out what you have installed and try to find a link to the use of the prog, and things going wrong. Cheers, whiz...

Sketch 01:00 25 Mar 03

'...four hours plus....'

If I were a computer running for that length of time continuosly, multi-tasking, and what-not...

...I'd need a re-boot/caffine injection/rest too!

SKETCH

jf 11:02 25 Mar 03

ok guys thanks for the advice (well apart from the last one that is!)

Regards jf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…