ICONS ON DESKTOP?

sillysoo 17:16 05 Apr 05

Hi, when I drag a URL onto my desktop so that I can access a familiar site easily all I get is the Internet explorer icon, I now have several of these. I would like to know how to get the company's icon, e.g. Natwest has their own icon and I had this once on the desktop, now when I drag their url onto it I just get the E sign....It's very frustrating to have to hover my mouse over all the E's to find a particular site. I hope That I have explained this properly :-) I have xp home.....Thanks

Technotiger 17:24 05 Apr 05

Hi, go to the site at

click here

and then right-click on the Logo and in the drop-down menu you should find 'send to Worktop' or similar.

Cheers.

Jak_1 17:26 05 Apr 05

You need the ico file for this from the company's software, suggest a google search.

pauldonovan 17:28 05 Apr 05

...when you drag it, it should take the title with it so you shouldn't have to 'hover' as you should have the name on the desktop.

Also, whether or not their icon comes will depend I think on whether they have setup their web server to deliver an icon to you.

PC Advisor doesn't, however for example the register does:

click here

HOWEVER, the key seems to be that it has to be in your favourites before the icon gets displayed/downloaded.

If you want though, you could just right-click on your desktop icon and pick 'change icon' and choose something to differentiate or even download their logo and make your own icon!

sillysoo 17:29 05 Apr 05

Thanks peeps....

pauldonovan 17:30 05 Apr 05

..that will only help if it is in his favourites I believe. Otherwise you are just showing him how to save to desktop which he already seems to know how to do.

jak_1 - this isn't software, just a web link from say a bank or whatever site.

Technotiger 18:59 05 Apr 05

Thanks - understood.

Cheers.

tehtarek 19:16 19 Apr 05

sillysoo and Guys,

I have exact problem as sillysoo. Am watching this thread for a solution.

I don't think there's anything to do with whether the other side's server is set up to deliver an icon to you, because I've got the 'proper' icon ie their logo for the shortcut on my desk in the first place. But as sillysoo described, these are replaced by IE icon.

There's no point in changing the icon to something else as this would not be immediately recognised. Like an envelop icon will not be able to sub for the YahooMail's capital Y icon.

I have tried restoring to a saved restore point and this successfully brought back the proper icons. However, they get replaced by the IE icons before long.

And, yes, it happens to the icons on the QuickLaunch bar too.

VoG II 19:22 19 Apr 05

Get FavOrg from click here

This is what it does click here

Not sure if it works with desktop icons but worth a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…