Icons on Desk top to switch the Internet on and of

User-324448 13:13 19 Nov 03

Hello again My 80 year old pal has bought a new Evesham computer running XP home and Ive connected to Freeserve antyime for him. However he would like to easily connect and disconnect from the phone line if possible by large Icons on the desk top, can this be done ? if so how. Any other suggestions to help him would be great, Again thanks in anticapation. Prof

xania 13:37 19 Nov 03

OK. I think I understand your problem. What oyu need to do is to ba able to increase the size of the icons on your desktop. If you right click any empty space on your screen, you will open up a set of changeable Display properties. Click the <Appearance> tab and in the <Item> area, click the down arrow and select <ICON>. You can now increase the icon sizes as required. Also, click the <Settings> tab, click the <Advanced> button and make sure you are using Large fonts.

User-324448 14:03 19 Nov 03

I need to put large Icons on the desk top to switch on and of his internet connection, to free up the phone line, The desk top being the most suitable and less cluttered place for him to do this.Prof.

24seven 14:51 19 Nov 03

With the IE settings 'dial whenever a connection is not present' and 'hang up if connection may no longer be needed' is selected then launching IE and closing it down will automatically connect/disconnect for him, no extra clicking required.

beeuuem 14:54 19 Nov 03

No doubt someone will come up with a better solution, till then -
Got to 'dial up connections', right click on the Freeserve icon and create a shortcut. This will be placed on the desktop.
Clicking on this will give the status of the connection and the option to connect or disconnect.

User-324448 15:45 19 Nov 03

It seems you have all helped me once again, what a crowd!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…