Icon Mystery

swanson2 20:11 30 Apr 05

I am using Windows XP SP2.

I have recently noticed that two of the Icons on my Desktop (Microsoft Publisher and JASC Photo Album) have been replaced with a white screen Icon with a narrow blue panel at the top.

If I right click the Icons and select properties the ability to change Icon is greyed out.

The same has happened to these two programmes with there Taskbar Icons.

The programmes still work OK and no other Icons have changed.

Any suggestions/comments would be welcome.

Diodorus Siculus 20:17 30 Apr 05

TweakUI from MS has an option to repair icons.

swanson2 20:24 30 Apr 05

Thanks for that Diodorus Siculus.

I tried the TweakUI icon repair tool but unfortunately that has just caused a lot more Icons to change to white.

I can recover again by using System Restore but would like to identify the cause if possible.

Diodorus Siculus 20:26 30 Apr 05

Sorry about that. Another idea:

Try the system file checker

sfc /scannow

Audeal 21:05 30 Apr 05

When my Icons change on the desktop, which is quite often, I simply highlight the Icon and press the F5 key to refresh it and it then changes back to it's original Icon.

swanson2 23:18 30 Apr 05

Thanks for your suggestions - I tried them but unfortunately I have not been able to sort it.

I have resorted to System Restore and now all is as it was.

I will leave this thread "unresolved" for a while to see if anyone has any idea what may have caused the problem.

ade.h 23:27 30 Apr 05

It sounds like Windows' icon cache is losing its memory (I know how it must feel! LOL)

I can't remember where the icon cache is exactly (see what I mean?!) but if you can find it, you could make a backup copy of its correct contents in your documents folder, with a text file to remind you of the path to the original location.

That would make it a quick task to repopulate the cache as and when required. Not a total solution, unfortunately, just a workaround.

swanson2 13:19 01 May 05

Thanks for that ade.h.

I will give it a try.

swanson2 13:23 01 May 05

Found the Icon Cache in (C:/Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…