an icon on my external HDD

Ikelos 07:34 24 Jul 08

Hi, i got myself a external HDD,it did have a icon when I went into "my computer" now all i have is what looks like a sheet of paper with the corner turned over, i think it was my fault, I rubbed all the files off it, so i could start again. is there any way I can put some sort of icon back. like all the other drives have.

Thanks

Technotiger 08:11 24 Jul 08

If you have not already got Tweak UI then I would advise you to download and install Power Toys for Windows, just Google for it. Within Tweak UI there is a repair Icons Cache which should fix that for you.

Power Toys for Windows is Free and very useful to have.

Ikelos 08:37 24 Jul 08

thanks, I will download it now............

keverne 08:50 24 Jul 08

Tweak UI will be fine if you've got XP. It's not for Vista though.

Ikelos 09:08 24 Jul 08

:-)) downloaded it, studied it, and none the wiser.

rawprawn 09:34 24 Jul 08

Tune up Utilities will give you an icon in Vista.
I don't know if you can use the Trial version to get your Icon, but you can buy it from Amazon for about £12
click here

cocteau48 10:35 24 Jul 08

Have a look at Icon Tweaker
click here
(not sure if it's Vista compatible)
...then Google (free icons) for the many sites which offer free icons to download.

Ikelos 10:46 24 Jul 08

back again, I went to the WD website, and there is software for the WD icon, so I downloaded it, and it put a line of type into the notebook, with autrun, in brackets, and also the icon, so I saved them into the WD external drive, and still it is the same, any idea what I should have done with it,

please keep it clean :-)))

Technotiger 11:01 24 Jul 08

In Tweak UI, click on last item listed 'Repair', then you will see "Rebuild icons" alongside a button marked Repair Now, click on that and I think this will fix your icon.

Ikelos 11:13 24 Jul 08

Hi, just tried that, it seem's not to include external hard drives. everything but......

Thanks

brundle 11:15 24 Jul 08

Did you reboot or disconnect and reconnect the drive after installing the icon? It won't refresh it otherwise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant