.ico or .icon file downloads.

Joe McG 19:55 01 Feb 03

Hi all,
just a quick question.
Does anyone know where I can download .ico or .icon files, without having to download icon software or desktop themes. Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Regards. Joe.

Gongoozler 20:41 01 Feb 03

Joe McG, there are many sources of free icons such as click here, however when I wanted an icon for my desktop to represent my digital camera files, I generated my own using a bitmap editor (I used Corel Photopaint, but any other would do). I generated a bitmap of 32 x 32 pixels. It is important to use all the pixels even if some of them are not needed, otherwise the image gets stretched out of shape. I then saved the bmp file as filename.ico. I selected the Windows generated icon, right clicked and selected properties. Clicked on the "Change icon" button, and navigated to my new icon.

Generating the new icon wasn't difficult. With only 32 x 32 pixels, great detail wasn't necessary. I know some professional icons have fancy features like transparency, but I haven't worked that out yet.

Gongoozler 20:46 01 Feb 03

Joe McG,I should have added that the icon should be created as 256 colours, and I saved my icon in the C:\WINDOWS folder. I don't know how important that was - but it worked for me.

leo49 20:55 01 Feb 03

click here

Pick out any you fancy and download them in a single zip file.

See above - how many thousand would you like?

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…