IBM Via Voice

Scouse 16:22 02 Feb 03

Do any users make use of this program and, if so, what is the verdict?

Scouse

Scouse 17:09 02 Feb 03

Excuse the Pun!!

Patr100 18:09 02 Feb 03

There's a free version of this on a mag cover disk at the moment. Can't recall which one, have a look in your local newsagent.

Scouse 20:29 02 Feb 03

Thats exactly why this thread exists.

watchful 20:52 02 Feb 03

There are two previous threads on the subject if they're any help:click here

watchful 20:54 02 Feb 03

Sorry about that - the link didn't come up for some reason but if you put Via Voice in the search box for all discussions, they will come up.

€dstow 08:41 03 Feb 03

These voice recognition things are a novelty for most people and they just lie forgotten in the programs listing on the majority of computers, I'm sure.

That is not to say that they are not useful - if you have a good reason to use them like, for example, you have difficulty using a keyboard.

Despite the hype, they do take a lot of training to be able to reasonably recognise your voice but even when trained they make numerous mistakes which, by the time you've checked and corrected them, you may as well have typed it in the first place.

€d

March Hare 09:41 03 Feb 03

When I first had my PC two years ago, my typing skills were very poor, and I thought ViaVoice would be the answer.
After what seemed like hours reading into the microphone to "train" the system, I found it virtually useless and abandoned it.
Persevere with the typing, it soon becomes second nature.

Patr100 11:11 03 Feb 03

I used a 30 day trial version of Via Voice about 18 months ago and it worked fine but having read some reviews I then opted to buy Dragon Naturally Speaking which I felt was a better overall product. It was trained and useable in about 20 minutes. There is certainly a kind of uncanny novelty about it at first - I found however that I much preferred to "think and type" with my fingers than "think and dictate" which for is less intuitive.

However since the program is only the price of the magazine what have you got to lose by trying it? It has probably improved since I tried it.

€dstow 11:28 03 Feb 03

By all means try it out - especially if it's not going to cost anything significant but I doubt you will be using it when the novelty has worn off. Like Patr100, you will probably find think and type is a far better option when you're composing your masterpiece.

I don't wish to play down the amount of programming power and technology that has gone into this type of software but it is a long, long way from being truly interactive.

My feeling is that it is programs like this and the revers of text to speech which will eventually truly understand what you you are saying and what it is saying back to you that will utilise the huge amount of processing power that is becoming available. All for the future and I look forward to it!

€d

Dr. Charles 11:41 03 Feb 03

Hi!
I think that ViaVoice is very good, I suffer with arthritis in my hands, and when my joints start to get sore and stiff I just switch it on and just dictate straight into the application. Once you been using it for while it gets used to you and learns the words that you use which are unusual, and also is extremely good for long and complicated letters. It does a spell-check as you go, so you don't have to go to spell-check.

This is useful if you are doing a letter in a hurry, this response has been dictated totally on ViaVoice. - - - you can do anything that you want with it and get it to switch between applications if you want. If it types something incorrectly, you can open up a correction window and have a number of correction options, this is very good when you're doing similar sounding words. I have posted about this previously.

If you're just poor at typing, then it is a help. If you suffer with problems as I do and aching joints, then it is wonderful.

I am using ViaVoice Pro version nine which is a USB configuration. The one grudge that I have about this, is that IBM have never given me a free update from one version to another so I bought a version eight, then version eight pro, then version nine Pro no free upgrades. I think IBM are very tight

Regards,

Charles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…