IBM ThinkPad R30 Laptop - small problem

Graham* 10:48 AM 26 Oct 11

This laptop was part of an auction lot. It is loaded with Windows 2000 Professional. The wireless is locked to an IBM network. If I connect my router by cable it is not found.

I installed Windows XP and it became dual boot, but no sign of wireless. I can, however, connect to the router by cable. It is very slow on XP, I get 'virtual memory low' message.

I would like to remove XP now, but can't see how. There is no separate partition for it. System Restore in 2K seems to be disabled.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:21 AM 26 Oct 11

Sounds like you have filled the hard drive by installing the second op system on the same partition.

in 2k look at the drive you may have a second windows folder windows.ooo this will be the XP version.

Delete that folder then use msconfig bootini tab - check boot paths to get rid of the dual boot menu.

Graham* 12:08 PM 26 Oct 11

Thanks, I've deleted Explorer (2), but msconfig won't run. I can do regedit, though.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:55 PM 26 Oct 11

sorry forgot msconfig not ib 2k but can be added (have it on my W2k pro laptop for so long I had forgotten.

MSconfig http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

Graham* 15:51 PM 26 Oct 11

OK, msconfig working now.

Only one Windows folder in 2K, so still got XP. Anywhere else it could be hiding?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:09 PM 26 Oct 11

can you post the boot.ini file?

open it with notepad copy and paste the contents here.

Graham* 16:30 PM 26 Oct 11

I can't easily do that. Boot.ini says both OS are on partition 1, Windows=XP, WINNT=2K. It looks like I could simply delete the Windows folder.

Graham* 17:08 PM 26 Oct 11

Fruit Bat /\0/\, thanks for getting me to the boot.ini file. I've deleted the Windows file and removed it from boot.ini. XP is now gorn.

Wireless networking next...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 PM 26 Oct 11

Try removing the wireless connection in control panel network connections

Graham* 23:45 PM 26 Oct 11

Thanks, we dive at dawn.

Graham* 10:55 AM 27 Oct 11

After much faffing, I can't get the laptop to see the router. And the router can't see the laptop. The closest I can get is 'Adapter enabled, Status disconnected'.

As this was a company laptop, perhaps it is locked to an IBM network.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…