IBM T40 Laptop - Blank Looks

ronroam 12:10 09 Oct 05

I've have not used my - fairly new - IBM T40 in a while. I have recharged its battery and it is now running off the mains but when I press the 'ON' button the '1' and 'A' lamps come on but then go off again and the screen stays blank.

Any help to get it 'smiling' again greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:00 09 Oct 05

Try starting off mains with battery removed

what happens then?

ronroam 13:11 09 Oct 05

Fruitbat: battery removed but no change.

interzone55 15:19 09 Oct 05

Try pressing the Fn & F7 keys together to toggle between the TFT and external displays.

ronroam 17:25 09 Oct 05

Tried that Alan but no response. This seems to be an intermittent fault as it did previously pring into life a couple of times but then reverted to its original blankness with no beeps.

Access genu 17:38 09 Oct 05

I have had a similar problem with my FJ laptop. The solution that worked for me was to remove the battery and disconnect from the mains, leave the laptop for 3 mins then try again.

ronroam 17:59 09 Oct 05

Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried that in various combinations - with/without battery etc - and no luck I'm afraid.

wee eddie 18:06 09 Oct 05

Then check the Screen Settings

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 09 Oct 05

Have you tried with an external monitor connected?

It may be your backlight/ invertor on your laptop sceen is dead

ronroam 22:04 09 Oct 05

Wee Eddie - tried it in safe mode but nothing.
Fruit Bat - I'll try with an external modem when I get back from travelling on Friday.

After getting back this evening it did work when first started but nothing in subsequent tries. I did notice though (when it did flicker up) that the battery power had reduced from 99% to 66% without any usage. I may try getting a new battery.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

wee eddie 23:36 09 Oct 05

Try an External monitor in Safe Mode, while connected to the mains.

I believe that IBM recommend leaving the battery in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…