IBM T20 ethernet connection problem

sipa 20:04 11 Dec 05

I have an IBM T20 laptop running Windows XP. I have just installed a cable modem for high speed access. I want to connect using the ethernet port on my laptop. After I installed and connected all the parts, I still can't get internet access throught the ethernet port. Couple of quick points.

1) I know that the installation is correct because I also plugged in my neighbor's IBM T42 and had no problem at all accessing the internet.

2) The T42 ethernet has two lights. A green one when the ethernet cable is connected and an orange blinking light when data is flowing. The T20 does not have these lights (as far as I can tell).

My questions are :

1) How do I know that the there actually is an ethernet card in my T20 that is connected to the port. What do I look for in the hardware list.
2) if there is a card , how can I test that it is working. Does the T20 have an internal diagnostic test for the ethernet card.
3) If there is no card/or if its not working, what type of card should I get that fits into the T20.

Thanks for your assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…