IBM T20 Connection trouble?

Ixtana`ran 16:37 07 Dec 05

Firstly Thank You Everyone who Chips in with help this forum has been invaliable in getting this far.
Now to the reason i'm posting.I wanted to share a NTL broadband connection with my daughters xmas prezzy before xmas day, Have managed to set up network, host running XP Pro connected to internet through NTL STB T20 Client running 2000 pro connected to host by RJ45 cable file/printer sharing work OK. Cannot connect client to internet? after going throgh posts again decide to cut out host and connect T20 to STB. No joy Contacted NTL they think it is a NIC(Intel Pro 100+ Mini PCI) problem as autoconfiguration IP address is 169 xxx xxx xxx or something similar not what it should be, even if i Manually set IP Address.Also get error in ipconfig command window stating DHCP Server unnavailabe? or something similar(sorry a bit vague had to put it away schools ended, Santa still exist in our house HO HO HO)Any help appreciated.

mgmcc 21:18 07 Dec 05

Connect the "Host" PC to the NTL broadband modem (or set-top box) and, in the Network Connections folder, enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on that connection.

------------------------------------------------------------

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

------------------------------------------------------------

This will automatically configure your Local Area Connection (the network adapter that you connect to the "client" PC) with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0

The Local Area Connection in the "client" PC should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "host" PC. It should also get an address in the same 192.168.0.xxx range.

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, normally by entering their IP addresses in the "trusted" area. Also, if you are running Zone Alarm in the "host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from "High" to "Medium" or ICS traffic will be blocked.

<<< IP address is 169 xxx xxx xxx or something similar not what it should be >>>

This is because the network adapter has been unable to get its IP address from a DHCP server and Windows has allocated a default address in the 169.254.x.x range. The network won't work properly with this address.

Ixtana`ran 00:21 08 Dec 05

Thanks MGMCC Done all that should have worked which is why i tried to connect T20 straight to Internet to make sure it could after reading one of the threads dealing with this problem it would not connect so the problem must be with the T20.
Tried releasing and renewing ip address when connected to set top box kept showing 169.xxx.xxx.xxx .Have installed latest drivers from ibm website for NIC is there any software or setting that could be changed to help.
Just remembered, in Ipconfig window one of the lines says IP Routing enabled NO. Should this be yes?How do i Change it because one thread mentioned it needs to be yes.
Geting confused now to many threads blurring together, going bed try again tomorrow.

mgmcc 09:17 08 Dec 05

Firstly, the cable you use to connect the two PCs for Internet Connection sharing is different from the cable used to connect a PC to the set-top box.

When connecting two PCs directly - "Network Adapter to Network Adapter" - a *crossover* ethernet cable is used. When connecting a PC to a network hub/switch, router or modem a *straight-wired* cable is used.

...unless set-top boxes have an "auto sensing" port that configures automatically depending on the type of cable used.

Secondly,

<<< in Ipconfig window one of the lines says IP Routing enabled NO. Should this be yes?How do i Change it because one thread mentioned it needs to be yes. >>>

When you set up "Internet Connection Sharing" in the Host PC, IP Routing will automatically be enabled and this should be shown when you run IPCONFIG in the Host PC. It will *not* be enabled in the Client PC.

<<< Tried releasing and renewing ip address when connected to set top box kept showing 169.xxx.xxx.xxx >>>

Did you power off the set top box for a couple of minutes while swapping over the connection. This is normally necessary so that it detects the connection of a different network adapter and allocates a new IP address.

If you run "IPCONFIG /ALL", is it showing a DHCP server address?

Ixtana`ran 12:34 08 Dec 05

Firstly have a crossover adapter for connecting to LAN and a Straught Through RJ45 cable for connecting to STB.
Secondly thanks for info clearer now.
Powered off yesterday no joy, today all working, only thing i have changed this morning was to autoconfig IP address and DHCP Server on automatic, and instal more components of "client sevices for NetWare"
NWLink NetBios &
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios compatible transport protocol.
Have now unchecked both above, no difference to network?
Thanks again for your help Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac