IBM with no os

xoc 17:27 12 Mar 04

Got an IBM think pad with no os installed.
Have now fdisked it ,formatted the partition, restarted with win98se cd inserted, and when I restart with no cd I get the win98 window momentarily which changes to a blank screen with "Microsoft Windows 98" along the top and below it C:\ and a flashing cursor! and am now lost!!!.
Have typed in A:\ which I thought would be the CDRom drive but am told "Not ready reading drive A, Abort, Retry,Fail?
Have tried it with B:\ and D:\ and am told to insert the floppy disk, but don't have a floppy drive fitted.
Any tips on how to get beyond this????
Thanks

anon1 17:35 12 Mar 04

Oh dear, A is the floppy drive always so no disk = "Not ready reading drive A" The cd will be d or e (probably E) c drive is the hdd d will be ram drive which usually pushes and drives after c back one. Now you say you are trying to boot with no cd option so how do you expect to load windows? Unless you made a bootable cd win 98 will not boot from cd you need a boot disk (floppy) if you dont have one you can get it click here you will need cdrom support too. You need to make sure the bios is set to boot from floppy first.

xoc 12:56 13 Mar 04

"Got an IBM think pad with no os installed. Have now fdisked it ,formatted the partition, restarted with win98se cd inserted, and when I restart with no cd I get the win98 window momentarily which changes to a blank screen with "Microsoft Windows 98" along the top and below it C:\ and a flashing cursor! and am now lost!!!.

Ok, so I went ahead and typed in

"cd WIN98" and got

"C:\Win98"

I then tried

"Setup.exe", then Install,Run, and Load!

But all revert back to

"C:\Win98" with flashing cursor!

Where to from here????

Any tips welcome!!!

anon1 13:10 13 Mar 04

I already told you, you will have to have a floppy boot disk. read my previous post. You put the boot floppy in the drive and then restart the pc it will find the boot sequence. It is no good typing c:\setup if the files you want are on the E drive. You boot from floppy then type e:\setup and windows will load onto C drive (E is the set up temp drive will revert back to d once os is installed

xoc 13:58 13 Mar 04

I read your instructions re "you will have to have a floppy boot disk", but, as I don't have a floppy drive, I have Burnt the contents of the floppy boot disk to a cd!
I have booted up with this inserted and get back to where I was at "I get the win98 window momentarily which changes to a blank screen with "Microsoft Windows 98" along the top and below it C:\ with a flashing cursor!"

I have tried "E:\setup" and get
"Invalid drive specification"
I have tried "B:\" and am told to insert the diskette!!
I have also tried "D & F" but get same response,"Invalid drive specification".
It is possible that in fdisking,removing, creating a new partition and formatting same that I have made a boob, so maybe I should start all over again!! before I bin it!!

R4 14:15 13 Mar 04

Has your boot CD got the CD drivers on it and the config.sys/autoexec.bat actually loading them ?, without these you cannot see the CD as it is not assigned to any letter.

Angiemaroni 14:15 13 Mar 04

Try this link,it may be of some use but your lack of a floppy drive may encourage you to obtain an extclick here drive.good luck

Angiemaroni 14:21 13 Mar 04

E-buyer sell an external drive for arround £20
click here
Try this.

anon1 15:10 13 Mar 04

You can get a floppy drive from almost anywhere for about £2.50.
I did also point out that you will need to enable cd support from the boot disk.

xoc 14:01 21 Jan 05

My problem was solved by removing the HDD, inserting it into a friends laptop and installing the OS there.
Thanks to all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant