IBM Laptop

Irfman 20:48 14 Mar 04

Ive got an IBM laptop lying around the house. I was thinking of getting it repaired. The specs on the laptop are intel pentium 2, 200 mhz, windows 98. Is it worth repairing.

Diodorus Siculus 21:12 14 Mar 04

Depends:

1 - what is wrong?

2 - how much will the repairs cost?

3 - what will you do with it / want from it?

You can pick up a laptop for less than £600 nowadays, so what you have is of little financial value.

Diodorus Siculus 21:13 14 Mar 04

Sorry, didn't mean to end so suddenly.

I meant to add, if you can have it repaired, it would be fine for interenet browsing / word processing etc.

Irfman 21:27 14 Mar 04

can i get a new hard rive and new memory instlled. also upgrade to xp.

Diodorus Siculus 21:44 14 Mar 04

You cannot use XP on a 200mhx machine; win98 is the limit.

click here for memory at a good price and high quality.

You can get a new hdd easily enough - do a google search.

But it could be more expense than it is worth.

nerawan 11:47 16 Mar 04

You need to know if the hard drive is removable...Some of them are not...In a comp. fair you can get it for £90...Besides that is possibly your BIOS don't recognize a large hard drive (possibly 8 gygas) so you need a program like Disk Manager that will cost you £45...You can add memory...Mine was only 32 and accepts up to 256 but 128 mb costs about £30.
At the end maybe is better to buy a new want that you can get for £600 including DVD rom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…