ialmnt5.sys blue screen crash - Dell Intel 945gm

coolteach 19:05 29 Mar 08

Hi there,
Yesterday I attempted to upgrade the graphics driver for the Mobile Intel 945gm Express in my Dell laptop. This was using the recommended download from Dell. However, after going through the install motions, the driver failed to install saying...an error occurred during the installation of this device. Access is denied. Since then (I believe) various things cause a blue screen crash. The first was right clicking on the desktop, which I sorted by removing a registry entry relating to right click context menus. However, If I now right click Properties->Settings->Advanced I get a blue screen crash referring to ialmnt5.sys. Any thoughts on a) why the updated driver from Dell fails to install and b) how to resolve the blue screen crash. I suspect there may now be some sort of conflict with the driver files. System restore doesn't cure the problem.

brundle 22:24 29 Mar 08

Go into Device Manager/Display, Rollback driver.
Try the installation again after running click here and disabling your anti-virus software (disconnect from the 'net first).

brundle 22:24 29 Mar 08

Go into Device Manager/Display, Rollback driver.
Try the installation again after running click here and disabling your anti-virus software (disconnect from the 'net first).

coolteach 23:53 29 Mar 08

Thanks for the suggestion brundle. Unfortunately this did not work. However, I did try updating a different device driver and ran into the same problem. After much searching and non-solutions I used regmon to monitor registry access taking place during install. A couple of entries were marked access denied and so I went into regedit to set permissions for these keys and hey presto - success! Bit of a bind as it was different keys for each device but all sorted now and I've improved my own knowledge base in the process!

brundle 00:22 30 Mar 08

Nice one, Regmon is not something I would immediately suggest when posting on here, beyond most people.
I'm still trying to get my head around ProcMon, more powerful but also more complicated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac