i550 paper feed problem

The Old Git 23:07 16 Aug 05

My Canon i550 printer is about 2 years old. It is connected to my PC via the USB lead only. Until recently, when printing, the paper used to feed to the correct position straight away and print the page content in the correct position as set by the software.

Now for most of the time, the paper feed moves the paper towards the correct position but it goes past it, stops, reverses the paper past the correct position, then forwards again, then backwards then at last forward to the correct position (approx). The page content is not then always printed in the correct position but is often high on the sheet so that the first line or so can be missed altogether. Thus each sheet can take a relatively long time to print and multisheet docs have to have some pages reprinted until correct. It takes so long to print! Sometimes however it does work correctly.

There is a rubber roller on a shaft which turns as the paper is fed (part of the paper feed, I guess). I have wiped this with a tissue dipped in methylated spirit and things improved for a short while. This is all I can get at. I suspect the paper position sensor is dirty but I can't see where it is to clean it nor how to get the case off.

As usual, all help much appreciated.

mark2 07:39 17 Aug 05

It is worth a look click here

You'll have to register to download but well worth your time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…