i3/i5 or AMD Quad Core 6

SweetBriar 23:08 22 Nov 11

Hi

My laptop is dying, and I need another one fast. Have always gone for Intel, but just seen one in my price range with AMD Quad Core 6 - this is clocked (as far as my limited tech knowledge goes!) at 1.6Ghz whilst the i3/i5 are at 2.4-2.5

Would there be any appreciable difference in performance for a fairly advanced, heavy but technically ignorant home user? (Surfing, music, some video watching but not serious gaming or clever multi-media stuff) I might add that the one with the AMD one (HP DV6-6102SA) has a massive 750 GB hard drive.

Any advice? My current Lenovo has been a bitter disappointment and I can't afford to make another mistake :(

Cheers

Rose

retep888™ 02:14 23 Nov 11

Both systems will serve your purpose nicely but personally I'll prefer the Intel i3/i5 system.

Of course it'll all depend on your budget too.

SweetBriar 02:21 23 Nov 11

Thanks for that - price is roughly the same, although the HP (with the AMD) has a few more bells and whistles - like USB 3 - but I know I tend to be seduced by trimmings! Need to get the basics right - I've cream-crackered this Lenovo, I suspect! Just hoping it doesn't "die" before I can replace :(

Cheers

Rose

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…