I-Worm/Swen.A

curlylad 15:48 01 Jul 04

Can any one tell me where I can get a removal tool for I-Worm/Swen.A ? We were expecting an important email and the missus didn't receive todays emails via mailwasher and we now have a scolded missus and a worm.Firstly can someone give me a link to a removal tool for the worm(I have AVG which picks it up but doesn't remove it) , and secondly a method of unscolding the missus ?
Thanks as ever.

georgemac 16:11 01 Jul 04

w32.swen.a@mm.removal.tool.html" title="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.swen.a@mm.removal.tool.html" TARGET="_new">click here symantec have a removal tool, when you get rid of it your next visit should be to windows update and download any critical updates

as for the missus, sorry, only been married 18 years, have not quite figured them out yet :-)

georgemac 16:12 01 Jul 04

don't know why the link broke w32.swen.a@mm.html" title="http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.swen.a@mm.html" TARGET="_new">click here try again

georgemac 16:14 01 Jul 04

don't know why the links are not pasting correctly - but you can cut and paste the link into the browser bar - good luck

Lionheart ? 16:24 01 Jul 04
  curlylad 17:03 01 Jul 04

I downloaded Lionhearts link and ran it.It found the worm and said to remove it run AVG for windows , immediately after this a symantec window opened saying" Swen has not ben found on this computer" , Huh ? I then ran AVG again and it is saying that I-Worm/Swen.A is still on the Hard Drive , however it says it has infected only one file , but this is not the original, file it infected.It now infects C:\System Volume Information\_restore{12F7DC69-DC4D-4AFF-ABB7-907A4E5979F1}\RP126\A0032713.EXE So what is my next move , can I just put this file name into search and delete it or is there any other suggestions ?

VoG II 17:05 01 Jul 04

It is now stuck in a Restore Point. Turn off System Restore, scan again, turn SR on again click here

curlylad 17:10 01 Jul 04

OK , I will accept your mission and report for debrief (?) !

curlylad 17:51 01 Jul 04

Turned off SR ,ran AVG and fix Swen tool both said PC was clean , turned on SR and ran both again and they both said I was clean . How did they both say nothing was there , something must have removwd the worm so why did neither admit responsibility , what removed the worm ?

PS Cheers VoG™ !

georgemac 18:32 01 Jul 04

turning off system restore deleted all the files and so must have deleted the worm with it - it was still better to run the scan with system restore off, to make sure you were clean.

I would head for windows update now and download and install the critical updates - fix any holes in your system.

curlylad 18:38 01 Jul 04

I had already downloaded all the critical updates but will try again now .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced