I-Worm/Sobig.B virus

LPB 23:48 09 Jun 03

I use AVG 6.0 virus checker. It reported that virus I-Worm/Sobig B virus had been identified in C:\WINDOWS\msccn32.exe, and that I should run AVG to remove the virus. Result: Infected files detected 2, viruses removed by healing 2, viruses still on drive 0. Later that day, I had the following warning: "AVG Resident Shield. Virus identified I-Worm/Sobig.B is found in file C:\System Volume Information\-restore{B42518BA-188E-432B-914A-D2C198B52520}\RP62\A0005911.exe. To remove this virus run AVG." But when AVG was run, it reported that no virus was found.
I did a search for file C:\System Volume Information, to be told "Not accessible. Access denied."
The virus warning keeps popping up, yet I cannot remove it. Does anyone have any ideas, please?
Les Bufton

jazzypop 23:59 09 Jun 03

Your system has taken a 'system snapshot', to facilitate a system restore. The snapshot includes the infected file, but Windows is locking the snapshot (to prevent over-writing), so the AV programme cannot access it to deal with it.

If you disable system restore, reboot, then re-enable system restore, all snapshots will be deleted. This will clear the infected file, but will obviously prevent you from restoring to a point before when you disabled system restore.

Windows Help will show you how to disable / enable System restore.

Gaz 25 00:46 10 Jun 03

Yes I agree with the above, it seams so many unlucky people have caught the virus and are asking the same.

LPB 22:31 11 Jun 03

Thanks jazzypop - your advice seems to have worked!
Les Bufton

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…