I want to use my PC as a telephone

Wulfrune 10:44 05 Sep 08

I want to be able to use my PC as a telephone, not for VOIP, but regular calls via Virgin so that I can speak over my headset and mike.

Question, will I need a modem?

will it adversely affect my broadband connection?

Anyone know what software is available?

any one help please?

Many thanks

Wulfrune

rawprawn 10:56 05 Sep 08

Is this what you want click here

Wulfrune 11:09 05 Sep 08

No really Raw prawn, at least I don't think so.

I don't want to sign up to Skype just make regualr calls through Virgin via my pc

xania 12:06 05 Sep 08

You can certianly use your Windows dialler to phone out, using your normal BT/Virgin line, but I think you will need an ordinary modem - don't think your broadband modem will work, but you can always give it a try. Same principle as for Faxing.

woodchip 12:09 05 Sep 08

Yes you need a Dial-Up modem, but there may be one already in your computer, You also need software like Bitware click here

Stuartli 14:24 05 Sep 08

Your arm may well ache after a while holding it to your ear...:-)

You can, in fact, use your headset with Skype and add video as well if required.

You can buy Skype phones quite reasonably on-line and via e-Bay.

Woolwell 17:29 05 Sep 08

I used to be able to do this on one of my old Windows 98 machines (currently stuck in a corner not being used). You certainly need a normal dial-up modem connected to the standard telephone line. It is then like making any telephone call and shouldn't affect broadband speed. I assume that your telephone calls are made with Virgin and that is not just your ISP.
However incoming calls can be a pain and I have found it much more convenient to have a standard phone on the desk beside the PC.

MAT ALAN 18:31 05 Sep 08

Why not sign up to Skype, you can talk to people all over the world, land line or mobile, for not a lot.
If you are using skype to skype "like wot i does" to my daughter who lives and works in spain it costs me NOTHING..

click here

tarifs in link...

click here

you can PAYG or pay monthly...

MAT ALAN 18:35 05 Sep 08

click here

forgot, cost me less then 20 quid for headset and webcam (optional)

was setup and ready to go in minutes...

Stuartli 19:44 05 Sep 08

My headset - actually what is termed a backset - has quite good sound from both the mike and earpieces.

It cost me the staggering sum of 99p from the local B and M discount store a couple of years ago.....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…