I want to upgrade my Sony VGN laptop

fatpanda 13:13 02 Feb 10

After 3 years of faithful service I want to upgrade my Sony Laptop (1.73ghz, 2GB ram, XP, 17" 1400x900 display. I have shortlisted Samsung R780 with i3 processor, 4gb ram, 17"screen (1400 x900) (£660) and Dell Inspiron 1764, I5 processor, 4gb ram , 17" screen (1600 x900) (£630). Mostly used for office applications but also photoediting and occasional DVD film. I'm uncertain about Dell delivery and inspiron case looks dull and dated whereas Samsung a more attractive package. Dell windows 7 is 64 bit but can't seem to find out if Samsung is. Bearing in mind I would like to buy for the next 3 or 4 years will i notice a significant improvement in performance over my Sony and any views on Dell vs Samsung and i3 vs i5 for non video applications?

howard64 10:12 05 Feb 10

look at the laptop reviews in the mag? The spec of your existing is not that bad and I think I would look at cleaning out your hard drive etc., first as all devices slow down over time with the muck that gets in. I normally format and reinstall every 18 months or so. I would do a clean install and keep the old one till it dies.

fatpanda 17:05 05 Feb 10

OK thanks. I'm coming to the same conclusion. photo-editing is a bit slow as using a 10+megapixel SLR sometimes with RAW data so Photoelements struggles a bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…