I want to upgrade but heven't a clue.

donnythejazz 16:50 05 Nov 07

I feel I need to upgrade. I mainly use use my computer for downloading and uploading, daily upkeep of a website and browsing the net (especially YouTube and the like). Lots of CD and DVD burning. Don't play games and am unlikely to do so in the future. Have thought about dual core and even quad core but if I don't play games how important is quad core. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Current system:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
Report Date: Monday 05 November 2007 at 16:39

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : MSI MS-6734
> Chipset : VIA KM400
> Processor : AMD Athlon XP @ 1833 MHz
> Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
> Video Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller KM400 Graphics Adapter
> Hard Disk : Maxtor (123 GB)
> Hard Disk : MAXTOR (320 GB)
> Hard Disk : Maxtor (500 GB)
> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (400 GB)
> Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-2164D USB Device
> DVD-Rom Drive : FREECOM_ DVD+/-RW16J9 USB Device
> DVD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S
> Monitor Type : HC194D - 19 inches
> Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
> DirectX : Version 9.0c

donnythejazz 16:58 05 Nov 07

Of course I meant haven't in the heading, old fingers.

jack 17:40 05 Nov 07

From the work your machine undertakes and is as you say likely to continue to undertake any expenditure of the much sought after beer tokens would be a teensyweensy bit of a waste.
Such improvement in performance that even various benchmark programs tell you will be hardly noticeable.
All I would do
[ because my machine apart from being a Foxxcon /Athlone 64 bit MoBo is pretty well I/D to yours] Is to keep is clean and well defragged.
Frequently scan the programs list to ensure nothing that is not actually needed is loaded and keep the Start group short so that programs that are not need in any particular session are not actually running.
And the start group can grow - all by itself.

Totally-braindead 20:05 05 Nov 07

Thats a 2500+ Athlon chip you have I think and as such I'm afraid to say that I think upgrading is a bit of a waste as you can't get a better processor, you could perhaps get more memory but I don't think you would see much difference.

My advice for what its worth. Do some housekeeping. Clean up the PC, get rid of unused programs and leftover bits of programs, stop programs you don't need from running at startup. Or format the hard drive and do a clean install.

Or buy a new computer. I just don't think theres much to upgrade for what you say you use it for.

I have to point something out though, you mention burning disks, surfing and downloading and uploading and a faster computer won't really make that any faster. Games yes, video work yes some other things yes but not what you say you use it for.

I'd give the PC a damn good clean out first and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5