I want to uninstall vista and install xp instead.

Rukmangadha 13:23 29 Jan 08

I want to uninstall vista and install xp instead. But before installing I want to partition my laptop memory into 3 parts like C Drive, D Drive, E Drive. Please let me know the steps to the required process.

xania 13:36 29 Jan 08

If you are definitely going to wipe your HDD then you can set up your partitions using FDISK if you have a bootable floppy. Otherwise you will need a decent partition manager - there are plenty on thew web and some of the free ones are OK, but I prefer to use Partition Manager. Unless ou intend to use more than one operating system, I recommend you only have your C:\ drive in the Primary Partition and use your Extended Partition to store your other partitions.

NB Unless you please to keep one of these purely for your data, why not set up another smaller partition just for data - makes backup that much easier.

DieSse 13:39 29 Jan 08

If you're going to install XP from scratch, you can partition your drive right from the XP installation routine, when you boot with the XP CD. You shouldn't use, nor need to use, FDisk.

You don't need third-party partition tools (though you're free to use them if you wish). XP does it all just fine.

DieSse 13:42 29 Jan 08

If you're installing XP on a laptop that came with Vista - you need to ensure that your particular laptop has drivers for XP - some of the newer ones don't.

You'll need drivers for the motherboard, graphics, modems, sound, touchpad/pointing device and so on. Check with the manufacturers site and download what you need before you start.

jimv7 14:20 29 Jan 08

Boot from the xp cd and you will be able to partition and format from within the xp install.

pj123 15:14 29 Jan 08

You do, of course, have a full Windows XP CD with the License number?

tullie 16:06 29 Jan 08

Bear in mind that you may have a hidden partition on your drive,to enable you to recover Vista.This is always usefull when you realise that Vista wasent so bad after all,or you cant find all your XP drivers,and you have to return to Vista.

xania 08:42 30 Jan 08

I think that, when XP installs, it only allows you to define the size of the XP partition, in which case you will need other softwre to do the rest. However, if you do have a blank HDD, you may as well use FDisk at that stage if you know how large you want your other partitions - its also much quicker (before you have data on the disk).

cream. 09:06 30 Jan 08

'I think that, when XP installs, it only allows you to define the size of the XP partition, in which case you will need other softwre to do the rest.'

No you don't. XP does it all.

If you select the size of the partition you want XP on, it will continue to load windows on that partition.

You then just go to windows disk management to partition the remaining area of the disk to the sizes you want. This will give you the 3 or more partitions you want on your hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced