I want to replace IE6 with IE5

Dopey74 11:19 11 Dec 03

Hi its Jubby again, same problem:
I am running W98 1st edition and IE6 is not compatible with broadband and I have to change to V5. I have been in touch with Microsoft and they don't do any free advising on W98 any longer, and
I really would like some help on this issue of how to remove IE6 and instal IE5, thank you in anticipation. Jubby

Jester2K II 11:20 11 Dec 03

Why is IE6 not compatible with Broadband. Not been listening the NTL Tech Support have you??

tenplus1 11:29 11 Dec 03

IE6 will work with any ISP be it 56k, adsl or broadband... It's only a browser...

What are the problems/errors you are getting ? and when did they start ? Did you install anything else with IE6 ?

Dopey74 14:21 11 Dec 03

Thank you Jester2K 11 and tenplus1, the answer to the first is yes I listened to ntl support, and the problem is when I log on to ntl broadband I
don't get pictures. I've been through the various solutions with ntl support and the final outcome was that it was IE6 which was causing the problem.
When I log on to broadband I get boxes with small boxes in them which have a red x in them and just a list of optios. In answer to tenplus1, no I only down loaded IE6 on its own and that was long before I got ntl braodband. Hope this helps and thank you both again.

Jester2K II 14:24 11 Dec 03

Control panel, Add / Remove Programs. Click to remove it and you'll have the option to go back to IE 5.

If that fails shout back there is some software that can do i but i can't find it now...

For the record - its NTL that has a problem with IE6 under Windows 98SE. There is nothing wrong with using IE6 on broadband.... Doing it right now..

Dopey74 09:37 22 Dec 03

Thank you Jester2K 11, sorry to take so long to reply, but have been busy with other things.
I tried your suggestiion but when I tried Microsoft downloads they now only do V5.5/ V5 for Mac, so now I dont no where to get V5.5/5 as a free download, again thank you. Jubby

gold 47 09:46 22 Dec 03

IE6 works fine on W98 or WXP take a look at your firewall setting if your blocking cookies or third
party cookies this could happen,turn your firewall
off and see if that works if it does thats where the problem is DON'T LEAVE IT OFF FOR LONG.

Jester2K 10:02 22 Dec 03

Internet Explorer click here

Use IEradicator to remove IE6 click here (AT YOUR OWN RISK) I've done this once and it worked fine. You'll need your Windows 98 CD...

Read the read me first!

Jester2K 10:03 22 Dec 03

gold 47 - thje problem is NTL doesn't support Win98SE running IE6 because they can't work out why it causes a problem on their network....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…