I want to make a windows 98 restore cd?

pcgal 19:10 19 Jun 03

I'm selling a computer to a friend but I've only got 1 windows 98se cd ..... I have 3licences so I can sell the computer on legally with a licence, but can anyone suggest a website that can help me create a windows98 restore cd in the event of her system crashing? I assume the process will involve copying cab files to the cd but can anyone expand on this subject and is it a complicated process to undertake.
I know I could copy the cd to her hard drive but a cd would be very handy so thanks to anyone who can help......pcgal

Valvegrid 19:14 19 Jun 03

Lets put it this way, Win98SE support ends at the end of this month, so what happens to the license?

Paul.

pcgal 19:29 19 Jun 03

Paul I'm no expert on law but I bet windows98 still needs a licence if its supported or not.

Valvegrid 21:45 19 Jun 03

From the Windows 98SE License text:

Separation of Components. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

Paul.

pcgal 22:24 19 Jun 03

Paul I'm not separating component parts of windows 98 ......I'm loading windows 98 on the hard drive with a valid certificate of authenticity. I wont supply an illegal copy of the disc but simply supply a restore cd for the computer and yes I'm sure the restore cd will contain cab files etc of the licenced software but the cd will only work with that machine and this is why I 've posted the above question on where to find how to do it?
This is common practice in most computer shops where systems are no longer supplied with windows cd's....are you suggesting this is illegal practice?

pcgal 22:43 19 Jun 03

To add to my last post.......As far as im aware if a user has a valid certificate of authenticity for a microsoft product then that entitles the user to use the product irrespective of where the software was loaded or the disc it was loaded from.
This seems to be a murky area and seems to be open to interpretation as everyone has their own ideas on the subject.
This is my interpretation of the microsoft copyright policies so if I'm wrong then ok I stand corrected.....but thanks for your input paul....pcgal

Valvegrid 22:55 19 Jun 03

I have been reading the license agreements from Microsoft, but it's not written in any known language.

This is how Microsoft suggest you restore, but I expect you have already seen this; click here anyway, it'll put your thread to the top of the pile again.

Good luck

Paul.

jimv7 23:03 19 Jun 03

Use norton ghost, 1st load win 98 with all drivers, load ghost, create a boot disk with ghost, insert the boot disk, run ghost and create an image of the 'c' drive to a cdr, ghost will ask you to tick the box to add the boot sequence to the cd.

Always supposing you have a cdr installed.

pcgal 23:04 19 Jun 03

You'd think microsoft would have a clear precise guide to this copyright topic but oh well I'll continue doing what I'm doing til the boys in blue smash my front door down...lol
One final thought though....the auction house I attend now and again are starting to sell the certificates of authentication without the discs and I notice these certificates are getting hawked around on ebay so many peeps must be thinking along my lines.

woodchip 23:05 19 Jun 03

The license is for you, Not someone else even if you had 10 license's. But you can make a restore disc if you want to with drive image

pcgal 23:07 19 Jun 03

ok guys thanks for the help...pcgalxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…