I want to go Wireless...........

Fatbelly 20:50 03 Dec 07

Ho,
I want to go Wireless but haven't got a clue what I need to buy.

I am running Win XP and my Broadband is via a Cable Modem with Virgin. I have two spare USB slots which I can use and my PC is about two years old.

I want to connect my Desktop PC to the Internet and also be able to get Online gaming with the PS3 that Santa is bringing me.

Can you help me with suggestions?

What do i need to buy, how difficult will it be to install? What about security? What would I need to do to keep my PC information safe. I do a lot of my Banking via the net so this would be important to me.

Thanks for your help.

Regards Fatbelly

Kemistri 22:24 03 Dec 07

A cable router. That's a wireless (or Ethernet-only) router that does NOT include a built-in modem.

Use WPA or WPA2 - never even buy a router that expects you to use WEP. Be sensible about security software and habits, as always.

Kemistri 22:25 03 Dec 07

Oh, and bung a PCI wireless adapter in the tower if it does not already have one. USB adapters are alright if you HAVE to use them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…