I want to format HD and reinstall XP - How?

lindy 17:50 26 Jan 05

Hi

Can anyone help me. I have a laptop and have just purchased a new one, so I want to clean up the old one before I give it to my daughter to use. It has Windows XP and a 40Gb drive but when I put the CD in it only offers the option to reload or repair XP - I want to format but don't know how. Can anyone help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 26 Jan 05

Clean install windows XP
click here

Curio 18:45 26 Jan 05

click here Should help

Kenzy 18:49 26 Jan 05

or here click here

Chezdez 18:50 26 Jan 05

when it loads up, it gives you a choice of which partition to use

delete the partition that windows is on (if there is only one, delete that), and the you will have to format the drive, and that is the next few screens before actually installing

Chezdez 18:52 26 Jan 05

sorry, that should be, once you have booted from the CD and it has loaded, it gives you a choice etc etc

lindy 18:52 26 Jan 05

Thanks Fruitbat

This website is relating to having Win98 and upgrading to XP. I don't want to do that. I merely wish to wipe the hard drive and start again. Any other ideas

VoG II 18:55 26 Jan 05
  Dorsai 19:03 26 Jan 05

1st thing i would try would be to put the XP disk in the laptop, and then 'restart' it.

If it offers the option 'boot from ATAPI CD-rom, hit any key' then hit a key. It should then boot from the CD. Then all you have to do is follow the onscreen instructions.

If it does not try and boot from the CD, stick any old floppy disk in the floppy drive (leave the CD in), and restart yet again. If the PC says 'invalid or non system disk' you will need to get a 'boot floppy', boot from this , then put the cd in.

If it boots from the floppy, and you end up at the C> prompt, try typing 'CD D:' (without quotes) where D: is the name of your CD drive. If this works then type 'setup' (ditto). This should launch the Xp setup program.

If neither work, you will need to go into the BIOS, and change the boot order. But lets hope one or the other works before we try further.

User-312386 19:15 26 Jan 05

click here for a website made by Powerless

Even gives you screen shots

One of the best sites around

Djohn 19:27 26 Jan 05

Can't go wrong with Mr. P's guides, they are excellent and well tried before being placed on his site, plus you have the comfort of knowing Powerless himself is never far away if you need any clarification, but I doubt you will.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…