I want to erase my hard drive permanently

Danageddon 12:54 PM 30 Apr 13

I have a msi u130 netbook and i want to erase the hard drive. Only thing is there is no built in CD/DVD drive so i cannot load a system disc after i wipe clean. I'm also thinking i won't be able to reboot using factory installed information due to wiping the hard drive.

Can anyone please advise me how to go about adding the system/windows7, will i be able to download from a website for free? How would i go about adding the re boot information to netbook?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Zak 17:30 PM 30 Apr 13

Not sure why you want to erase hard drive. Without external cd/dvd drive, no chance to reinstall Win 7 and programs. Also appears you do not have the Win7 installation CD. You will also need to make sure you have note of your Win 7 serial number and a backup of your documents, emails etc.

I suggest you restore the notebook to factory settings. You will of course lose all your documents unless you have them backed up. You will need a USB memory stick for that or in the cloud with Google,MS outlook Drop box to name a few.

MSI Wind Notebook Factory Restore

Chronos the 2nd 17:31 PM 30 Apr 13

You can use a USB flash drive to install windows 7. Here's how, Win 7 USB.

Win 7 USB 2.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:18 PM 01 May 13

If your passing the laptop on then:

Reset to factory conditions

Download and install CCleaner Use the wipe Free Space tool on 3 pass

Any data on the drive other than the operating system will be impossible to retrieve.

Nontek 20:01 PM 01 May 13

External USB DVD ROMs are quite cheap these days.

wee eddie 21:18 PM 01 May 13

Many of the Erasure Programs have the option of leaving the OS untouched, while overwriting everything else

john bunyan 17:50 PM 03 May 13

CCleaner (free) has a thorough drive wipe facility.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…