I Want To Dual Boot Vista

Input Overload 18:39 20 Jun 06

I have three hard drives with seven partitions, I want to install Vista but as a dual boot on an empty 15 Gig partition so I can fiddle with Vista & still use my reliable XP. Do I need to install Vista on a primary partition? Or does it not make any difference? Is there anything else I need to be aware of as I have never used dual booting. All my files are backed up on an exterior drive/DVD as are images of XP. System AMD 64 3200 1 Gig RAM.

mgmcc 20:04 20 Jun 06

You need to think carefully before setting Vista up as a dual boot. It doesn't modify the Boot.ini file in the root of your XP partition but installs a number of additional files including a Boot manager. This screenshot shows my XP partition "after" and "before" installing Vista as a dual boot click here

Prior to installing Vista, I created backup images of my XP partition with both Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image to ensure I can get back to where I was.

<<< Do I need to install Vista on a primary partition? >>>

I ran the Vista Setup and installed it into "Unallocated" space on the drive, i.e. unpartitioned and unformmated, so that Vista could do the necessary partitioning, formatting and installing.

Input Overload 20:15 20 Jun 06

mgmcc thanks for that, I don't think I am totally happy with Vista messing with my XP install. I have got several XP Acronis Images so I might give it a try as I can restore XP without any problem, again thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…