I Want to ditch my landline

roamad 18:13 23 Feb 09

Hi All, Just joined the forum I have looked at previous threads could not find any related to my situation
I would like to ditch my land line ,I know I can get a dongle to work my laptop but I would like to have WiFi in the house so I could use a wifi Skyp phone as my landline without having to have the laptop on all the while.
What would you suggest would be the best modem/router all advise would be appreciated .

mgmcc 19:43 23 Feb 09

If you want to use WiFi and a router without a conventional broadband connection (ADSL or Virgin Cable) then you're probably looking at a "Mobile Broadband" solution such as this click here

Your choice of hardware is going to be very limited because normal "Cable/DSL" routers or ADSL "Modem/Routers" aren't going to be compatible.

roamad 21:06 23 Feb 09

Thank's mg I have approached 3 and that deal is very favorable Will keep the thead open incase any one else has some input.

pabx3 21:44 24 Feb 09

A word of caution about not having a landline.

Using Skype (or any other VOIP) doesn't give you a reliable service for 999 calls, all the literature I've seen says always have a landline as well. There's also the thought that if you lose mains supply, the computer and router stop and you then have no telecoms.

You might have a mobile phone, but a wide area power cut could knock out your local cells, so you wouldn't get a signal. The authorities can also restrict mobile services in an emergency.

You'd be much safer with a copper pair landline and a basic telephone that doesn't need mains or a battery. In a home emergency you just want to lift the receiver, hear the dial tone and then dial. Another advantage is that 999/fire/police/ambulance operators can see your number and look up your address for sending help if you're in a really bad state, injured, difficulty with speech, busy helping a casualty &c.

Please give this some careful thought before you decide.

pabx3 22:00 24 Feb 09

pabx3 back with another possible problem:-

You could lose service also due to vandalism; 50 yards from my house there's a Virgin Media (ex-NTL, ex-Diamond Cable) street cabinet which serves our estate (about 200 houses). This regularly has the door wrenched off, the gear given a good kicking or a drenching meaning the customers are without broadband. That would stop emergency calls as well. Sometimes the door, both side panels and the back are missing, just leaving the equipment mounted on the framework, exposed to the elements.

Being a bit old-fashioned, I like to have copper wire all the way from my house to the BT exchange - really solid!

Sorry, roamad, for being so negative about your idea of ditching the landline.

Cheers,
pabx3

tullie 22:01 24 Feb 09

To be honest,i know many people that have not had a landline for years,and who are yet to experience your doomsday scenario.

Quickbeam 07:02 25 Feb 09

It certainly is that, no matter how bad the economy gets, I can't see marshall law severly restricting our personal comunications. We might have a government coping quite badly, but we're a long way off becoming a banana republic overnight.

Quickbeam 07:08 25 Feb 09

p.s. What happens if the kids that throw laced together trainers over the overhead copper wires and bring it down during a civil unrest and prevent you from calling the police when a violent mob is apoaching your door with blazing torches and hurling bricks through you windows?

You'll be glad of wireless comunications then...;)

Tech Guy 19:06 25 Feb 09

p.s. Don't forget, that a car might crash into the cable cabnet or an aeroplane might fall on it.

Sorry.. had to join in ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…