//some 3rd party need geo

i want to create a website

bta1 19:06 29 Nov 03

I own a comedy club and i want to create a website for it.

All i know is that i want to do it by myself because i cannot believe it can cost me £3000.

I have no idea were to start so anything is helpfull. Or can someone point me in the right direction.

click here

learn the basic html in notepad, then start to use more advanced software...

means you can get your head round all the basic's

Chegs ® 20:03 29 Nov 03

click here

If you have a look thru this forum,I'm pretty certain you will sort out the basics,as I just had a look down 1st page and the above link has tutorials on creating websites for total beginners.

Chegs ® 20:21 29 Nov 03

click here

Self explanatory :-)

Mango Grummit 20:46 29 Nov 03

You don't need to wary yourself with HTML if you only need to produce a single website. Just get yourself a web building programme. There are many available -- more or less like the old DTP WYSIWYG packages -- have a look in PCW or on the net.

Here you go for starters:

click here

PurplePenny 22:21 29 Nov 03

basic HTML is very easy and you won't have to fork out for the software.

Penny

Talented Monkey 22:25 29 Nov 03

It all depends what you want out of your site. Do you want just a site with one or two simple pages showing prices opening times with the current weeks acts, and a diary of future performances or something a little more clever such as online booking for tickets to popular acts?

If you are going to do this yourself, then do not aim to high to start with just aim for the basic page or two with a weeks programme and a diary, somthin you have no problems changing later. I think the phrase biting of more than you can chew comes into mind. Learning a new skill takes time, so be prepared for many a frustrating hair pulling day, even us experienced people have those days still!

First of all you want a decent web hosting company there are quite a few about and the average you will pay for a years hosting and domain name is £100 although there are several who start nearer £50 a year.

Once you have a host and registered your domain name with them, you can think about creating your site. There are 2 ways you can do this. Either learn HTML or use an web page editor.

Learning HTML is not too hard if you have the time and patience, if you are running a club then time is proberbly somthign you do not have. To give you an idea of what is inolved have a read of this first by webmonkey, no relation, a very good authoritive site click here then have a look at w3schools html tutorial click here this will give you an indication of what is involved in html. Once you have a good working of html that is just half the project completed, you then have to learn what makes a god site and what doesn’t. and spend even more time getting the look and feel of the site right. If you are up to the challenge then good luck!

Most people opt for using editors such as FrontPage, Dreamweaver click here or Coffee cup click here the latter two of these are free to down load with a trial period so if you are quick you can get a site up for nothing! These will priduce all the code for you, you simply tell the editor what you want and where and it will do it best to obey! If you have a good eye you can get a very pleasing page up a lot quicker than learning HTML. However it wouldn’t harm you to learn the basics and syntax of html so you can tweak the code that an editor produces, or make a quick change later without running it through the editor again.

There is a third option, you could find someone who web designs for a hobby, or someone wanting to break into webdesign and needs to build up a portfolio, they may do it for next to nothing just so they can have sites to show employers or customers.

Whatever you go for, don’t be disheartened, there are several people who, like yourself, started off with not a very good site, but with the help from knowledgeable people on here, a lot of us are full time, or hobbyist web designers and can give you a wealth of knowledge.

Hope this is of help
TM

Forum Editor 23:54 29 Nov 03

Well, depending on what you wanted it could end up costing you a great deal more than that for a professionally designed site.

As others have said, it's quite possible to design and publish a very respectable web site yourself, but don't expect to be able to do it overnight. Whilst it's perfectly possible to have a basic site up and running very quickly using one of the excellent WYSIWIG (What You See Is What You Get) web design programs, it takes a while to really get the feel of the various design conventions and restrictions that are Imposed by Internet protocols. Many people call themselves web designers after quite a short experience, but believe me, it takes a lot of hard work, experience, and not a little talent before you can truly call yourself 'professional' and that's why a professionally designed site can cost the kind of money you mentioned.

My advice, if you simply want to design a site for your own business, is the same as that offered by Mango Grummit. Don't bother with learning html if you aren't going to be designing on a regular basis; you may as well let modern software can do it all for you. That will accelerate your progress up the learning curve, and if you use one of the many excellent templates available you are halfway there already. All the major software applications have templates, and there are countless web sites out there offering tens of thousands more - often free, or at very low cost. You can adapt the template to suit your business, and as you gain in experience you can customise to your heart's content.

By all means learn html if you have the time and the inclination, but take it from me it's far from being an essential. I picked up html as I went along - more years ago than I care to admit - but I find that I hand code less and less often nowadays - the latest versions of programs like Dreamweaver, FrontPage, and Adobe GoLive are so powerful and so sophisticated they can do in seconds what would take hours or days to code manually.

Get yourself a copy of FrontPage or NetObjects Fusion and play - it's an excellent way of learning. Publish your efforts to your server space and see what they look like. Nobody's going to see anything until you're ready, and you can come here for friendly advice and constructive criticism as often as you like. Almost all of us started in precisely the same manner, and all of us made the same elementary mistakes that you'll make. It doesn't matter - the Internet is made for experimentation, and you have as much right to be there as anyone.

Good luck, we'll look forward to helping out when you need us.

bta1 14:20 30 Nov 03

Thanks to everyone whose helped. Looks like i have a couple of months work ahead.
I'll let you know how it goes.

arayus 13:19 04 Dec 03

Hi

Don't believe anybody that it will cost you 3000 pounds for a website. What I will advise is you start on the smallest scale that you can and when things start picking up. you expand. so lets see if you know how to use frontpage. i believe it is the fastest and cheapest way for you to get your site online. if u do not know how to design a website yourself then you need a web base web design package such as website wizard use this link to check out what they have to offer

click here

Also if you do not have a web marketing strategy or you are new to web business you would need to look at this product Internet Success Blueprint

click here

Goodluck

IClaudio 13:45 05 Dec 03

Hi bta1

I know you've ticked this discussion, but I've only just bumped into it...

To get everything in one fairly easy package try 1&1 Hosting - on one web site you can buy your domain name (less than a tenner per year depending on what name you choose), buy a Hosting package (from as little as £2 a month) and create your site using the on-line WebPage Creator. This will produce a very professional-looking site and all you have to do is type in your text and choose a few graphics. This will get you up and running within a couple of days.

Once you've signed up, you'll get a CD with loads of software, including NetObjects 7, FrontPage 2002 (go for the MS Home or Business package for this, it's worth it!) and Wise-FTP for uploading your files when you decide to take the plunge and create your own site, which I'd recommend! Plus printed manuals...

click here

Best of luck!
Tony

PS No, I don't work for 1&1, just a satisfied customer!

PPS any chance of putting my name on the door? ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…